Prophecy Radio episode #101 discusses the latest Rick Riordan Presents book, Serwa Boateng’s Guide to Witchcraft and Mayhem by Roseanne A. Brown. We also break down the latest Rick Riordan news, including updates on Chalice of the Gods, the WGA/SAG-AFTRA strikes, and more. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and we keep our discussions PG-13.
News and Updates (00:02:44)
- Don’t forget that Serwa Boateng 2 is out in the world now.
- Read Riordan wants you to meet the god of death, Owuo.
- If you couldn’t make it to any of the Chalice of the Gods book tour stops, be sure to register (FOR FREE) for the Flip event taking place on October 5.
- If you’re going to NYCC, be sure to stop by Disney Publishing to check out what they have on their shelves.
- Read Riordan also posted an article about Ganymede.
- He is, in fact, the himbo in question.
- Could the chalice be used to kill a god!?
- A mortal stealing the chalice just seems boring.
- Karen gets very defensive of poor Ganymede.
- Suddenly, Iris or Hebe stealing the chalice seems too obvious.
- Speaking of, Read Riordan also wants us to meet Hebe.
- Hebe Jeebies seems like the Lotus Hotel and Casino all over again.
- We find out that Hebe is the one with the chickens.
- As always, we toss out some wild and unhinged theories. ONE of them has to be close to the truth, don’t you think!?
- Kristen also provides us with a quick update on the strikes.
- The WGA is meeting with the AMPTP as we speak!
- Thank goodness Drew Barrymore backpedeled.
- Did you know Dancing with the Stars is a WGA show because we sure didn’t! (And neither did Matt Walsh.)
- We’ll bring you more news next week, but things are looking up!
Serwa Boateng’s Guide to Witchcraft and Mayhem by Roseanne A. Brown (00:22:32)
- It’s time to talk about Serwa Boateng 2, so let’s kick this off with Karen’s review of the book.
- We’re starting off with a spoiler-free section but it will ruin the surprises from the first book if you haven’t read that already!
- What is this book about? Where did we leave Serwa at the end of the last one?
- How did this one compare to the first Serwa book?
- It should come as no surprise that we are BIG fans.
- As always, there are a lot of important themes to discuss.
- Poor Serwa is dealing with a lot of change in her life right now.
- It’s gotta be tough resisting the urge to drink blood when you’re a vampire.
- Auntie Effie is super different than we expected her to be.
- Can we blame her for hating the Abomofuo?
- Okay, let’s talk about Serwa’s ETERNAL NEMESIS, Declan Amankwah.
- Was anyone (other than Serwa) surprised she had a little crush on him?
- We thought their interactions were mostly pretty cute, but Kristen is VERY angry with some of Declan’s life choices.
- The spoiler section starts at 00:50:54.
- What did we think about Nana Bekoe’s backstory?
- Funtunfunefu-Denkyemfunefu ended up being a delightful part of this book.
- Serwa’s motives might’ve been duplicitous, but we liked the scenes where she hangs out with Declan.
- Except when they had to fight off that giant bird. That’s a giant NOPE from us.
- Can the cobra come back for Book 3?
- Serwa was pretty clever in the way she escaped from the adze.
- The trampoline chat was so tragic yet so important for SO many reasons.
- Oh no, it’s a trap!
- Kristen is very angry with Declan, but WAIT! It’ll get WORSE!
- Serwa’s punishment is…going back to her parents.
- Did her parents make the right choice in hiding her true nature from her?
- We’re SO proud of Serwa’s maturity in the scene where her friends confront her.
- Did we guess how Serwa was going to escape into the Underworld?
- Please mark us down as totally intimidated by Owuo.
- Did Serwa make the right choice by striking a deal with the god of death?
- Why was Nana Bekoe able to trick Declan into playing the Midnight Drum?
- Let’s just say we are NOT fans of Serwa’s grandmother.
- Will Nana Bekoe come back for Auntie Effie?
- We’re very, very mad at Declan. But also…maybe we can find some sympathy for him, too?
- Serwa’s friends stand up to her again, and we’re not mad at all.
- Serwa found the perfect solution to the problem of her bargain with Death.
- I’m sorry, her mother is WHAT!?
- What can we expect in Serwa Boateng’s Guide to Saving the World?
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 102, in which we’ll tackle the first THREE chapters of Percy Jackson and the Chalice of the Gods by Rick Riordan!
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at email@example.com or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.