Prophecy Radio episode #102 jumps into Chalice of the Gods by Rick Riordan, discussing the first three chapters in detail. We also break down the latest Rick Riordan news, including updates on Survivor season 45, the WGA/SAG-AFTRA strikes, the Mark of Athena graphic novel, and more. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and we keep our discussions PG-13.
News and Updates (00:01:23)
- Happy birthday to Leah Jeffries, who turned 14 on September 25!
- Roseanne A. Brown is stepping away from Twitter and will primarily be on Instagram.
- The Mark of Athena graphic novel is officially on sale!
- Khadijah Khatib has created new covers for the UK edition of Percy Jackson and the Olympians.
- Did you pick up a Barnes & Noble exclusive edition of Chalice of the Gods?
- Check to see if any pages are missing!
- We give you a couple of small updates about the sequel(!) to Chalice of the Gods.
- Introducing Kristen’s Korner!
- She gives us an awesome update about the Survivor season 45 premiere, starring J. Maya!
- Kristen also talks about the latest updates for the strikes.
- The writers are officially back to work!
- You can read about the agreement here.
- Adam Conover has a great summary of what they won.
- It’s important to note that SAG-AFTRA is still striking, so we can’t talk about the show just yet.
Chalice of the Gods discussion (00:26:40)
- This week, we’re talking about Chalice of the Gods chapters 1-3.
- Let’s kick it off with chapter 1, where Percy can’t go a single day without getting mixed up with the Greek gods.
- We are OBSESSED with the first line of the book.
- If you were worried about this not feeling like Percy Jackson…it was all in vain!
- Percy just wants to go to school and do his homework and not have to worry about all this other stuff!!
- That being said, thank goodness for Alternative High School.
- It’s New Rome University (and Annabeth) or DEATH!
- We’re still fascinated by how the Mist works.
- The biggest twist of this chapter is that Eudora was actually trying to be helpful.
- Now we know where the blue jolly ranchers came from.
- What is a psychoeducational evaluation??
- Percy is SO annoyed he has to do NEW quests for the gods.
- We really want to know more about other demigod schools around the country or the world.
- Was Eudora more scared of Poseidon or Percy?
- How was Poseidon eavesdropping on their conversation??
- In Chalice of the Gods chapter 2, Percy visits Poseidon, who “helps” him with his recommendation letters.
- Poseidon’s Private Plumbing System™ is classic Rick Riordan.
- Percy has some pretty eclectic friends.
- Percy is in debt…life debt.
- All these rules and stipulations are a little ridiculous, if you ask us.
- Will Nico have to go through all of this if he wants to get into NRU?
- Would Thalia, if she ever leaves the Hunters?
- Will Percy Jackson ever reach 18 years old?
- We could totally see Percy being a part of Camp Half-Blood even as an adult.
- What would a second-gen demigod be like, and could we ever get a story about that?
- Let’s talk about Chalice of the Gods chapter 3 because…
- …PERCABETH IS BACK!!!
- We loved how Annabeth immediately volunteered to help with Percy’s quests.
- Is it true that Percy never really wanted to date anyone else?
- Percabeth reminds us of Rick and Becky, and it makes us so happy!
- THEIR PULSES ALIGN WHEN THEY HOLD HANDS.
- Is something going on with Annabeth at her school?
- Annabeth and Paul being BFFs is amazing, and we loved every second.
- Percy is so reflective and introspective in this book.
- Kristen reminds Karen that we do not trumpet…we panflute!
- Grover no longer wears pants.
- Was Luke not able to transition into the real world?
- We have SO many good ideas for future Percy Jackson books.
- Percy’s love of family dinner hit us both pretty hard.
- Sally Jackson is about to be a published author!!
- How amazing would it be if we got a standalone novel following Grover as the Lord of the Wild??
- Rachel writes in to give us some feedback about the first three chapters of Chalice of the Gods.
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 103, in which we’ll discuss the Chicago stop of the Chalice of the Gods book tour before tackling chapters 4 and 5 of Percy Jackson and the Chalice of the Gods by Rick Riordan!
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at email@example.com or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.