Prophecy Radio episode #104 discusses Chalice of the Gods chapters 6-8 in all their glory! Who is Hebe and why is she so obsessed with chickens? Did your elementary school pizza look like melted vinyl? How do you practice dominance in the herd? We also break down the latest Riordanverse news, including updates on Survivor season 45, the SAG-AFTRA strike, and which Rick Riordan Presents book we’ll be discussing next. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and we keep our discussions PG-13.
News and Updates (00:00:58)
- Dawn of the Jaguar by J.C. Cervantes came out on October 10!
- You can meet Prince Lord on Read Riordan, as well as read an exclusive excerpt.
- Fox Snare by Yoon Ha Lee is on sale on October 17.
- Meet Yang Miho and refamiliarize yourself with Haneul.
- For the first time in a few months, we got a new blog post from Rick!
- Rick regales us with highlights from the Chalice of the Gods book tour.
- He also talked about the WGA strike ending and what that means for the projects he has in the works.
- Did you see the design of this ORIGINAL Camp Half-Blood shirt?
- Was anyone else disappointed that the sprayed edges on the UK edition of Chalice of the Gods didn’t include the top and bottom?
- But let’s talk about how GORGEOUS those new covers are for Percy Jackson and the Olympians that Khadijah Khatib designed.
- Here’s a link to the Disney Create 100 auction. Tell your rich uncle!
- Kristen kicks off her korner by talking about J. Maya’s current situation on Survivor season 45.
- Will switching tribes actually help her game!?
- Who would J team up with if she switched tribes?
- In worse news…the SAG-AFTRA strike is still ongoing because the AMPTP has stepped away from the negotiating table.
- Here is SAG-AFTRA’s thread about their proposal.
- You can also read Deadline’s articles about how the talks were suspended and the bully tactics being used against SAG-AFTRA.
Chalice of the Gods discussion (00:32:15)
- Let’s kick off this discussion with Chalice of the Gods chapter 6!
- Times Square is, like, a one time thing.
- We got a billboard reference!!
- Hebe Jeebies is pretty much the greatest name forever. So funny and so useful!
- Apparently goat guys love licorice??
- This arcade has the same addictive qualities as those stupid phone games you can’t seem to put down.
- Hebe Jeebies definitely has an element of magic to it.
- Do kids in America know what a hen party is?
- Percy is in RARE form in these chapters, and we take a moment to talk about how Rick is just killing it in this book.
- Would you hand Chalice of the Gods or The Lightning Thief to someone you want to get into the series?
- Who ISN’T always anxious and hungry??
- Percy and Stiles are one in the same.
- WE LOVE SALLY JACKSON!!!
- Next up: Chalice of the Gods chapter 7.
- Big Shocker: I Offend a Goddess — Percy Jackson’s Memoir
- We spend a considerable amount of time discussing the pizza of our childhood.
- Percy is SO anti-boomer, and we’re here for it.
- Why would Hebe assume the trio wants to shave some years of their lives?
- To her credit, Hebe pretty much instantly realizes what’s going on here.
- And she is NOT happy that they’re accusing her of stealing the chalice.
- Kristen regales us with memories from her elementary school days.
- Let’s wrap this up with Chalice of the Gods chapter 8.
- We have to define the phrase ‘younged us.’
- Seeing baby Percy, Annabeth, and Grover was FANTASTIC.
- Can someone PLEASE draw this??
- UNLEASH THE PREDATORS!
- Karen understands this intense fear of chickens. Just call her Arlo.
- Are you telling us that Riptide has a childproof cap!?
- This chapter was SO QUOTABLE.
- It really was fascinating to see the trio as young kids and see what they struggled with the most.
- Shoutout to The Dam Meme Page and all the other Riordanverse podcasters for being superheroes.
- Moving forward, we’re going to put a spoiler warning on our quote graphics on Instagram for Chalice of the Gods!
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 105, in which we’ll discuss Fox Snare by Yoon Ha Lee!
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.