Welcome to Prophecy Radio, a Percy Jackson podcast dedicated to all of Rick Riordan’s past, present, and future projects! Co-hosts Karen Rought and Kristen Kranz discuss the latest news in the Percy Jackson/Rick Riordan Presents fandom, then they do the unthinkable and rewatch the Lightning Thief movie after having just finished rereading the book, as well as analyze chapters 1 and 2 of Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters. New episodes of Prophecy Radio will air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:01:56)
- AMC Studios have optioned Rebecca Roanhorse’s Black Sun.
- Roanhorse and Angela Kang (The Walking Dead) are both executive producing, and we are excited!
- Star Wars: Stories of Jedi and Sith has gotten a cover reveal.
- Some of the RRP authors will be contributing stories!
- Kwame and Carlos got into a (friendly) Twitter fight over Among Us, and we’re here for it.
The Lightning Thief movie (00:09:29)
- Karen is scared to get into this discussion, but let’s just do it!
- We thought it was important to discuss the film as a part of the history of Percy Jackson.
- How did we originally feel about the movie, and have our thoughts changed?
- Rick’s blog post from November 16, 2018 gives an in-depth breakdown of how he tried to save this movie.
- Be warned: Rick does not pull any punches!
- We’ll read out some of his notes as we go along.
- He offered to drop everything for them, and they declined.
- It really was a bad idea on the part of the studio.
- Why did they decide to age up the script? And why was this such a bad idea?
- They should’ve done what Harry Potter did. Their loss.
- Gotta admit, though, the cast is pretty spectacular.
- A lot of people agree Logan Lerman did a great job as Percy.
- But Rick had some issues with the character’s infatuation with Annabeth.
- Movie!Grover is NOTHING like Book!Grover, and it’s sad.
- But there’s way too much sexual innuendo—and it cut them off from a huge demographic.
- Grover could’ve been SO MUCH MORE than what they gave him.
- Annabeth was okay, but there were definitely some problems with her as well.
- They really needed more backstory. It would’ve given the story so much more depth.
- Did they try to give Annabeth some of Clarisse’s traits?
- What did we think of Luke, and did his motivation make sense?
- Did the producers actually listen to Rick!?
- Thank goodness they didn’t do Sally dirty.
- But Kristen has a pitch for who Sally should be in the show. Anyone listening?
- It’s not his fault, but Karen hates Joe Pantoliano’s face.
- Kristen has a little more affection for him.
- Was Chiron the best character in the movie?
- How does Karen feel about not having Mr. D on screen?
- Who else did they cut from the movie?
- Why would they shoot themselves in the foot like this?
- Did we like the addition of Persephone?
- Okay, let’s talk about the plot.
- They got rid of one of the best scenes from Lightning Thief!
- Kristen feels personally victimized by the lack of prophecies.
- Was the pearl quest really that bad of a plot device?
- Uma Thurman gives a little Poison Ivy here, don’t you think?
- Why did they change the St. Louis Arch scene?
- At least the CGI was good.
- The whole thing with the shoes is just…no.
- They really missed a great opportunity to make the Lotus Hotel and Casino even better.
- They took away all the nuance and intrigue of the book’s ending.
- Karen goes all Ravenclaw on Kristen’s butt.
- How could they just ignore the complexity of the Underworld?
- Kristen and Karen have a difference of opinion…over wet clothes.
- Okay, it’s time to get back to the books.
Chapter Reviews (01:27:22)
- Yay, we made it to Sea of Monsters!
- First up, chapter 1.
- Prophecy Count: 6
- We forgot Tyson was introduced so early!
- Was he sent to the school on purpose?
- This book really starts off with a bang.
- What do you mean Camp isn’t safe anymore!?
- Sally and Percy’s relationship is so mature and healthy.
- Let’s jump into Sea of Monsters chapter 2!
- What even IS this school??
- We love Tyson so much!!
- Percy is such a good person, and we are here for it.
- Does it count as expulsion if it’s on the last day of school?
- We try to get Percy off the hook.
- Annabeth saves the day!
- Kristen goes on a whole ride.
Thanks for listening, and be sure to tune in next time for episode 13, in which we’ll discuss the top moments from The Lightning Thief book that we’d love to see in the show.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at email@example.com or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.