Welcome to Prophecy Radio, a Percy Jackson podcast dedicated to all of Rick Riordan’s past, present, and future projects! Co-hosts Karen Rought and Kristen Kranz discuss the latest news in the Percy Jackson/Rick Riordan Presents fandom, then talk about the dreaded Sea of Monsters movie, as well as kick off their Percy Jackson and the Titan’s Curse reread with chapters 1 and 2. New episodes of Prophecy Radio will air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:01:39)
- We’ve got a huge episode in front of us, so let’s get into it!
- Sarwat Chadda is still working on City of the Plague Gods 2, but we’re a little confused about the title.
- Kwame Mbalia and Roseanne A. Brown talk about what Black History Month means to them.
- If only our days in the office looked like Rick’s.
- Tehlor Kay Mejia is writing her bi disaster adult debut, and we are very excited.
- Don’t forget to check out Karen’s Reclaim the Stars book review.
- Ashlee Latimer is giving away a copy of her new picture book!
- We’re surprised that Rick already has a new blog post up, but we’re excited to get into it!
- There is no typical work day for Rick, which sounds awesome and stressful.
- We talk a bit about all the script edits they’re currently working on.
- The Solangelo book is going to be LONG, and we’re here for it.
- We get an interesting insight into how they start to break an episode.
- Apparently, Percy Jackson and the Olympians on Disney+ will be eight episodes long.
- Rick also broke his toe, and we hope he feels better soon!
- Writing is never really done, it’s just due.
- We can’t imagine how many submission tapes they’re going through—but it’s a lot.
- Soon, we’re going to talk about our dream cast for the adult roles in the show.
- How long do we think the filming for this show will take?
- Rick wrote Goodreads reviews for Ballad & Dagger and Serwa Boateng’s Guide to Vampire Hunting.
- Becky does a lot, too! We see you, Becky. Thank you.
Sea of Monsters movie (00:32:06)
- Did we like the Sea of Monsters movie better than the Lightning Thief movie?
- It was nice to see Thalia turning into the tree, but that opening was so dark.
- Let’s meet all the new Sea of Monsters characters.
- Clarisse was pretty great, but we hope TV!Clarisse is a little stockier.
- We really missed the chariot races.
- Is there anyone who doesn’t love Stanley Tucci?
- We kind of didn’t mind that someone else is playing Chiron in this movie.
- The tone was definitely better in this movie.
- But how did we feel about Tyson?
- Have you ever thought about how a cyclops would wear sunglasses?
- And the whole barrier situation doesn’t really work in the movie.
- The Colchis Bull fight had its highs and lows.
- We’re still disappointed about Grover’s storylines in these movies.
- Was it weird that Mr. D took over part of Tantalus’ plot in the movie?
- How did we feel about the oracle?
- Kronos’ aesthetic was…a choice.
- Nathan Fillion was truly an inspired choice for Hermes.
- Did Annabeth maim Thalia?
- Can the show create as good a Rainbow as the movie???
- Did the filmmakers not know how to pronounce Riordan?
- Who doesn’t love Ron Perlman as Hellboy??
- Tyson’s death in the movie was so pointless.
- Ugh, this was not our Annabeth. Not at all.
- The battle at the end with Kronos was so unnecessary.
- Does anyone here watch Station 19?
- Did we like Thalia at the end of the movie?
- How do we feel about the Percy voiceover?
- We are officially done with the movies!
Chapter Reviews (01:24:06)
- Let’s get into Titan’s Curse chapter 1!
- Does this chapter start rather abruptly?
- We were shocked to learn Nico and Bianca were introduced so early!
- Controlling the Mist is a pretty big deal.
- We love book!Annabeth so much.
- The Ground Zero reference was effective.
- Dancing is hard.
- Time for Titan’s Curse chapter 2!
- Shout-out to Onward for teaching us what a manticore is.
- We need a Rules for the Empathy Link pamphlet.
- The Hunters of Artemis definitely have great posture.
- We really wanted to reach the next chapter after that ending!
- Do your homework! And read lots of MG and YA books.
Thanks for listening, and be sure to tune in next time for episode 23, where we’ll do another What If…? episode centered around Sea of Monsters.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.