Welcome to Prophecy Radio, a Percy Jackson podcast dedicated to all of Rick Riordan’s past, present, and future projects! Co-hosts Karen Rought and Kristen Kranz discuss the latest news in the Percy Jackson/Rick Riordan Presents fandom (including Walker Scobell’s casting as the son of the sea god), then discuss the many crimes of the King of the Olympians himself, Zeus, as well as read Percy Jackson and the Titan’s Curse chapters 13 and 14. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:01:58)
- Have you been participating in #LightningThiefWeek? Don’t forget this week is #SeaOfMonstersWeek.
- This is all leading up to the release of the new Victo Ngai Percy Jackson and the Olympians covers on May 3.
- Karen also has a correction for Ballad & Dagger‘s release date from last week’s episode.
- Congratulations to Roshani Chokshi for Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality becoming a NYT bestseller.
- Have you met Tumburu?
- If you’re new here, make sure you go back and listen to our Roshani Chokshi interview.
- Remember, you can pre-order Tehlor Kay Meji’a Paola Santiago and the Sanctuary of Shadows, the final book in the series.
- But don’t be sad about it ending because we’re gonna get a Disney+ show!
- The Percy Jackson and the Olympians writer’s room has been talking about Procrustes.
- Yes, it’s finally time to talk about it: Percy Jackson and the Olympians has cast Walker Scobell in the titular role.
- We read Rick’s April 11 blog post to celebrate.
- Here’s the infamous Kraft mac & cheese commercial.
- Make sure you’re following Walker’s real Twitter and Instagram accounts.
- Karen’s going to keep an article on the show’s casting up to date, so make sure you hold her accountable!
- In case it needs to be said, #PJOCastDeservesRespect.
- And on that note, let’s talk about Annabeth’s casting for a minute.
- Make sure you’re not bugging Rick, Becky, or Ashlee about details they don’t know or can’t share yet!
- Prophecy Radio is a safe space.
- Click here if you’d like to listen to Karen’s guest spot on #Millennial.
Deep Dive: Zeus (00:29:50)
- Now it’s time to talk about the many crimes of Zeus.
- In case you need a reminder, Zeus doesn’t need a bigger ego and Percy is a sass king.
- Zeus has had multiple wives, but the way he tricked Hera was particularly awful.
- Can the gods just not eat each other, please?
- Which of Zeus’ many forms is your favorite?
- Oddly enough, Zeus was also in charge of punishing people because he stood for justice.
- To be fair, though, no one wants to get zapped by Zeus, so it was a good threat.
- Too bad he hated mankind.
- Kristen is offended we might be considered the stone race.
- But even Zeus isn’t above doing time for his crimes.
- Zeus DID get schooled one time and one time only.
- But it’s not a pretty picture.
- What was Zeus like in the Camp Half-Blood Chronicles?
- Who doesn’t love a good dramatic exit?
- Did we remember how Zeus was described in the books?
- Karen doesn’t want Arnold schwarzenegger to be Zeus but he’s got the look.
- Kristen actually does want Tom Felton to be Zeus, even though he’s on the younger side.
- Winston Duke has proven as M’Baku that he can play a mercurial character.
- Should the show have blind casting for the gods?
- Kristen’s next pick is also a Black Panther alum: Michael B. Jordan.
- You know who else looks good in a suit? Henry Cavill.
- Have you heard of Wyatt Russell?
- If you want another old guy for Zeus, why not Jeff Bridges?
- Is he TOO old? How would this casting affect the rest of the gods’ appearances?
- Would Dev Patel be better as Zeus or Hades?
- You know who else gives good beard? Oscar Isaac.
- The first person who came to Kristen’s mind when she heard Zeus’ description in the books was Adam Driver.
Chapter Reviews (01:12:31)
- It’s time to talk about Titan’s Curse chapter 13!
- Isn’t it weird they didn’t find Bianca’s body?
- Was Bianca stealing the figurine stupid or sweet?
- Bianca and Nico spent SO LONG in the Lotus Hotel.
- Would they have noticed how much things had changed since being in the hotel?
- How did we feel about Aphrodite’s introduction?
- We’re so excited to see how they’ll cast her in the show.
- Has Pan’s presence supercharged Grover?
- We’re kind of obsessed with the idea of this junkyard of the gods.
- Kristen reads her “brief” recap for Titan’s Curse chapter 14.
- What’s making Grover so emotional?
- Percy is a good kid, but it’s too bad he has to be the strong one in this situation.
- We finally find out who Zoe really is and what she’s done.
- Gurgle, gurgle.
- We all miss Annabeth so much.
- Who wouldn’t want to go to the dam snack bar?
- Rachel. Elizabeth. Dare.
- Thank goodness Thalia said please!
- Henry writes in again to ask us a bunch of useful questions!
- Visit Subjectify Media’s Spotify profile for the Prophecy Radio playlists.
- Yes, we will be discussing each episode of Percy Jackson and the Olympians, and we may even pause our rereads so we have plenty of time for the show.
- We still have high hopes for interviewing a lot of people related to the show and the RRP imprint.
- Would Rick ever make a Stan Lee-style cameo in Percy Jackson and the Olympians?
- Would we want him to be a teacher or a party pony?
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 29, where we’ll rewatch The Adam Project and discuss how Walker Scobell is the perfect Percy Jackson.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at email@example.com or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.