Prophecy Radio episode #38 sees Karen and Kristen talking about about hellhounds, both in Greek mythology and the Rick Riordan universe. In addition, the hosts once again tackle all the latest news, including the recent casting of Luke, Clarisse, and Nancy Bobofit for Percy Jackson and the Olympians, as well their Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth review with chapters 9 and 10. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:01:33)
- Yoon Ha Lee’s Ninefox Gambit is getting the ttrpg treatment.
- Read Riordan also introduces us to the Haetae, as well as Namjoon.
- If you have any ARMY friends, you’ve probably heard what a splash that last article made.
- Tehlor Kay Mejia, author of the Paola Santiago series, announced a new book in the works!
- We also discuss Rick Riordan’s June 21 blog post.
- Olivea Morton has been cast as Nancy Bobofit, and while we can also see her as a Rachel Elizabeth Dare, we think she’s gonna do a fantastic job.
- Next up is Dior Goodjohn as Clarisse!
- We really wanted some body diversity for this character, BUT Dior is going to be fantastic and the whole fandom is already in love with her.
- We’re already thinking about spin-off shows.
- Lastly, we have Charlie Bushnell as Luke Castellan, and Kristen thinks he gives good brow!
- Rick is happy. We’re happy. Everyone is happy.
Monster Guide: Hellhounds (00:28:06)
- Karen learned a lot about hellhounds for this episode, and she’s excited to share it with everyone.
- Hellhounds share a lot of similarities, but there are many different versions of them across various types of mythology.
- If you spot these characteristics in the wild, you might be looking at a hellhound.
- Some of them are really different, and that’s super cool!
- Not all hellhounds are bad, and in fact, some of them are downright helpful.
- There are also many different types of hellhounds found in various pieces of media and throughout pop culture.
- In Greek mythology, there aren’t a lot of stories about general hellhounds.
- But there is one very famous hound of Hades—Cerberus!
- He looks a bit different from other hounds, but fulfills the same purpose.
- Kristen finally realizes the connection between Cerberus and Fluffy.
- Hercules is the talk of the town lately because he’s also had a run-in with Cerberus.
- And by run-in, we mean Hades let Hercules takes Cerberus for a walk.
- But what about in Percy Jackson?
- We get a pretty clear description of hellhounds from the Ultimate Guide, and there’s nothing too surprising in there.
- Why do you think hellhounds are afraid of heights?
- When do hellhounds/Mrs. O’Leary show up in the original series?
- We also talk about which Rick Riordan Presents books have hellhounds!
Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth chapter reviews (00:43:22)
- Let’s start with the poop in Battle of the Labyrinth chapter 9.
- Percy is SUCH a great main character, and we’re so proud of him.
- Is Percy Jackson overpowered?
- Did Geryon get the better end of the deal here??
- WHO IS ‘THEY’?
- We knew we liked Eurytion for a reason.
- There’s definitely a parallel here between Percy and Eurytion when it comes to immortality.
- We were totally shocked to find out who was sending Percy the Iris messages.
- Watch your ears because Karen has an epiphany.
- Ready for Battle of the Labyrinth chapter 10?
- How did we feel about the meeting with Bianca?
- Why did she have dominion over the other spirits?
- We learn the fatal flaw of Hades’ children.
- Prophecy Count #20!
- Does Luke already have Ariadne’s String?
- Old Daedalus is a scary Daedalus.
- Why does Eurytion act like other children of Ares?
- Why couldn’t it be “Follow the butterflies”!?
- The teacher really came out of Rick here.
- It’s a good thing Annabeth listened to Percy here and didn’t give into her fatal flaw.
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 39, where we rewatch Karen’s favorite Disney movie—Hercules!
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at email@example.com or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.