Prophecy Radio episode #40 does a deep dive on Athena, goddess of wisdom and war—and Annabeth Chase’s mother! The hosts also tackle all the latest news, including a new book from Rick Riordan Presents author Tehlor Kay Mejia, as well as read Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth chapters 13 and 14. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:01:58)
- Happy birthday to Jason Grace and Leo Valdez!
- A lot of people are searching for Percy Jackson and the Olympians on IMDb!
- We are once again asking you to follow all the cast and crew on social media (or at least follow @updatespercy).
- Dior seems delightful, and we talk a bit about her Instagram Live from the other day.
- You wanted more summer status updates from Read Riordan? You got it!
- Remember how we were talking about ILM the other day? There’s a documentary coming out soon.
- Tehlor Kay Mejia’s Lucha of the Night Forest got a cover.
Deep Dive: Athena (00:10:46)
- There’s so much to talk about when it comes to Athena, so we’ll do our best to get through as much as we can!
- Needless to say, Athena had an unconventional birth.
- From the get-go, this goddess was the definition of impressive.
- But how did she get her clothes and weapons!?
- She’s got a very iconic look, though there are some discrepancies.
- Kristen has an idea for that, thanks to Black Panther.
- Athena’s cool and all, but why did she have to invent math!?
- Did you know BOTH of Athena’s sacred animals?
- Do you think Lizzo ever thanks Athena for her flute skills?
- Would you trade your sight to talk to birds?
- Have you ever heard of Pallas Athena?
- Do you think Athena and Pallas were lovers?
- Bet you can’t guess how Athena had her child with Hephaestus.
- It’s weird that we don’t find it weird.
- Now it’s time to talk about Athena’s rivalry with Poseidon.
- Karen had an incident with a bird when she was a kid. She is not a fan.
- Again, why did Medusa get punished and not Poseidon!?
- Athena gave Arachne a chance to take back what she’d said about her.
- But Arachne had some good points to make with her tapestry.
- Athena still had to prove a point, much to Arachne’s detriment.
- Kristen definitely has a spider scream.
- Hate not ate.
- What does Athena look like in the Percy Jackson series?
- Athena and Annabeth’s powers are a bit more passive but still awesome.
- But really, what CAN’T Athena do?
- Did you know the word for making brain children!?
- It’s pretty special that Athena is such a fair and just goddess (even if she still has her own flaws).
- Is it weird that we associate Athena with the Statue of Liberty?
- Let’s get into our fancasts for the goddess Athena!
- If you’ve seen the trailer for The Woman King, you’ll know who Karen’s first pick is.
- Kristen’s next pick is a bit younger than Karen’s, but she’s just as powerful of an actor.
- Karen has another Marvel pick for her second choice.
- The reason Kristen picked her next choice is very…specific.
- Next up is an actress who already has some ties to the Greek gods.
- Then we talk about the youngest actor on our list.
- The Marvel actors just keep coming, but Karen’s next choice might be a surprising one.
- Speaking of surprising, Kristen’s also got another interesting pick.
- Lastly, Karen picks one of the greatest and wisest actresses of all time.
- And Kristen rounds us out with another outside-the-box pick.
- Our listeners also gave us a bunch of actors they’d love to see in the role!
Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth chapter reviews (01:08:54)
- Let’s talk about Battle of the Labyrinth chapter 13.
- Annabeth is so upset her “friend” is dead.
- Wouldn’t you want to hear what people would say at your funeral?
- How do we feel about Percy not mentioning Calypso at all?
- What the heck is Quintus up to??
- Prophecy Count #21!
- Was that death really painless?
- Who’s the demigod wandering in the labyrinth?
- Should Sally be worrying a little bit more about Percy?
- And maybe Rachel Elizabeth Dare should have less of a death wish?
- Now we’re turning the page to Battle of the Labyrinth chapter 14.
- Thank goodness Rachel can see the way through the labyrinth.
- Why are Rachel and Annabeth fighting so much?
- Lord Antaeus is a very different kind of son of Poseidon.
- How do we feel about Luke’s reactions to Annabeth and Percy?
- Let’s talk about Ethan Nakamura!
- Once again, we are praising Percy’s level of intelligence and resourcefulness.
- Luke did not come out on top of this little fight, and he’s not happy about it.
- Ian loved our discussion of Disney’s Hercules, and so did we!
- We second Phoebe’s idea to include a Hercules song in Percy Jackson and the Olympians.
- And then we go off the rails and come up with more ideas to tie these two properties together.
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 41, where we’ll discuss what kind of Percy Jackson and the Olympians merch we’d love to see from Disney!
This episode’s hosts are: Karen Rought and Kristen Kranz.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Follow Us: Twitter // Instagram // Facebook // Tumblr
Listen and Subscribe: Audioboom // Apple // Spotify
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at email@example.com or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.