Prophecy Radio episode #43 asks what the characters of Percy Jackson and the Olympians would cosplay as if they went to San Diego Comic-Con. The hosts also catch up on all the news they missed while Karen was at SDCC, including the upcoming release of Paola Santiago and the Sanctuary of Shadows, as well as finish out their Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth reread with chapters 19 and 20. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:05:46)
- Apologies, but we LIED to you! We have a good reason, though, I promise.
- Be sure to check out Industrial Light and Magic’s documentary on Disney+, Light and Magic.
- We read out the synopsis for The Unauthorized Peter Johnson Parody musical and have a good laugh.
- Even Becky had something to say about this—but it’s all in good fun.
- Have you read Rick’s adult series? Would you want him to write more? Do you think he has time?
- Becky told us they’re still working on the Kane Chronicles script. More on that later!
- Don’t forget that Paola Santiago and the Sanctuary of Shadows by Tehlor Kay Mejia publishes on August 2.
- Read Riordan gave us some great articles: Meet Kit | Encountering your shadow self | Spotlight on El Cucuy
- In fact, Read Riordan’s had hit after hit these last couple weeks—“OTP Timelines: Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase“
- It should go without saying, but please don’t illegally obtain the Lightning Thief Musical (or any other) soundtrack.
- Go support our PJO crew by watching The Old Man on Hulu.
- Remember, all current guesses about the Percy Jackson and the Olympians release date are just that—GUESSES!
- Rick’s most recent blog has been taken down, but we wanted to touch on a couple of points he wrote about.
- We learned about the current progress of the show.
- We get another guess as to the show’s airdate.
- We get an update on both the Daughter of the Deep and Kane Chronicles adaptations.
- We also get a little Solangelo book update, as well as a teaser from Becky.
- We would feel okay waiting for a Magnus Chase adaptation.
- Everyone is working under the assumption they’ll get renewed for Percy Jackson and the Olympians season 2, and we discuss what this means.
- There’s a TV deal for My Life as a Child Outlaw.
- The Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky graphic novel is coming soon.
- ILM Senior Vice President Janet Lewin talks about Percy Jackson and the Olympians using the Vancouver Volume stage.
Percy Jackson and the Olympians go to Comic-Con (00:28:58)
- Karen tells us what San Diego Comic-Con was like and how she wishes there had been more Percy Jackson art.
- Since there wasn’t enough to talk about from the ILM documentary, we decided to think about what the PJO characters would cosplay as if they went to Comic-Con.
- First up is Percy Jackson, and you know he’d probably go with some water-themed character.
- Aquaman was the obvious choice here, so we tried to avoid that one.
- Next, we’ve got Annabeth Chase. There are so many great characters, and we were sure to find a few canonically Black ones.
- One of these is not like the other, and it’s AWESOME.
- We promise we didn’t forget Grover for more than a few seconds. A minute, tops.
- Not everything is a competition except it totally is.
- Nico is a particularly fun character to cast.
- Kristen has an interesting choice for this one, but just hear her out!
- Clarisse was one of the easiest characters for us to think about.
- There are just so many iconic buff women. YOU LOVE TO SEE IT.
- We sort of went in two different directions for Thalia Grace, but it totally works.
- Basically, she needed a character who was a total rebel and was also super powerful.
- Tyson would totally make his own costume, and there are so many cool cosplays he could choose from.
- Really, he’s just a gentle giant and we love him.
- Zoe was an interesting choice to fit into a cosplay, but we got there in the end.
- Her aesthetic is both old school and DOES. NOT. CARE. ABOUT. MEN.
- Then there’s Luke. Kristen’s answer was so good, Karen almost gave up completely.
- PSA: If there are any fan artists who want to draw these crossovers, PLEASE DO!
- The Notorious R.E.D. needs an especially epic cosplay.
- Yes, they’re all redheads, and yes, they’re all fabulous in their own way.
Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth chapter reviews (01:12:15)
- We’re in the final stretch, talking about Battle of the Labyrinth chapter 19.
- The clean-up scene was super realistic, but it’s still sad how much Percy has been through at only 14.
- So, Grover has a neat new power that’s actually a lot deeper than at first glance.
- The Council of Cloven Elders is no more and NO ONE IS SAD ABOUT IT.
- Dionysus is actually kind of awesome in this chapter.
- When exactly did Morpheus switch sides??
- Briares and Tyson’s friendship is so sweet.
- There is quite literally no place for Nico at Camp Half-Blood, and we have a bone to pick with Chiron.
- Chris is healed, and Clarisse is so happy!
- Time to close out this book with Battle of the Labyrinth chapter 20.
- Tyson and Percy’s relationship has come so far, and we’ll never get tired of it.
- Okay, yes, Annabeth cares about Luke, but she OBVIOUSLY thought the prophecy was about Percy!
- Hera is the worst, and Annabeth decides to play with Greek fire.
- Oh, how we wish Percy and Annabeth would just COMMUNICATE.
- How powerful do you have to be to manipulate the Mist like Chiron did?
- We are fully supportive of Paul and Sally, but curious about how long they’ve been together.
- Poseidon is a little scoundrel.
- We once again wonder how Luke was able to host Kronos.
- Percy’s dealing with a lot right now, between the war and Typhon and girl trouble and now Nico’s habit of lurking in shadows.
- Camila writes in to tell us how she found the podcast. Thank you for listening!!
- We also get treated to a Brazilian legend that’s super interesting.
- We love being able to help people with their English, and all your kind words mean so much!
- Greetings from Prophecy Radio!!
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 44, in which we’ll discuss Paola Santiago and the River of Tears by Tehlor Kay Mejia.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.