Prophecy Radio episode #44 discusses Paola Santiago and the River of Tears by Tehlor Kay Mejia, and the hosts even get to interview the author about the third and final book in the series, Paola Santiago and the Sanctuary of Shadows. They also tackle all the latest news in the Rick Riordan universe, including the latest blog post from the author of Percy Jackson and the Olympians. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:01:34)
- Dior Goodjohn’s Are You Afraid of the Dark season 3 is airing right now on Nickelodeon!
- For a moment, Karen forgets how to watch real TV.
- It looks like Percy Jackson and the Olympians is filming the Capture the Flag scene.
- Make sure you check out the cover reveal for the Maze of Bones graphic novel.
- Roseanne A. Brown wants to remind you that she did NOT write Serwa Boateng’s Guide to Vampire Hunting under the patronage of an eccentric professor.
- We discuss Rick’s August 6 blog post.
- There are a lot of books coming out from Rick Riordan Presents!
- We get an update on the Solangelo book—including possible tour plans and Rick’s reaction to the cover.
- Mark Oshiro’s book with the cool mushroom cover is called Into the Light.
- What’s this other book project Rick is working on??
- Paola Santiago and the Sanctuary of Shadows is officially out in the world!
- We’re super excited for the Paola Santiago adaptation!
- Tehlor wrote a really beautiful letter saying goodbye to the series.
- Abuela has some tips and tricks if you happen to find yourself in possession of an arma del alma.
- But more importantly…which Paola Santiago character are you?
Paola Santiago and the River of Tears by Tehlor Kay Mejia (00:25:10)
- It’s time to talk about the first book in the Paola Santiago series!
- By the way, the narrator for these books (Frankie Corzo) is REALLY good.
- How did Kristen feel about reading River of Tears for the first time?
- We definitely know how to pronounce the Gila River.
- Paola reminds us a little of Aru Shah, tbh.
- Science girls for the win!
- This book really nails the boy/girl middle school dynamic.
- Paola’s mom really doesn’t serve much of a role in this book except to cause some friction for the main character.
- Abuela might not have a huge role, but she’s a pretty important character.
- We included Emma, even though she doesn’t feature too prominently in this book.
- Look, it’s been a while since Karen read this one. Give her a break.
- WE DEFINITELY TALK ABOUT BRUTO.
- Is Riptide…an arma del alma?
- Would you like to live in Limbo for your whole life?
- Which of the monsters did we like most?
- Put us down as not fans of the mano pachona.
- Karen scars Kristen with images of the the lechuza.
- The SPOILER SECTION starts at 00:58:40
- La Llorona’s castle was pretty amazing.
- Kristen was personally attacked by Marisa.
- Okay, we know La Llorona has a reputation, but why is she so MEAN?
- Abuela is a total badass, and we are HERE for it.
- There’s not too much to say about Los Niños de la Luz…for now.
Interview with Tehlor Kay Mejia (01:11:05)
- Following on the heels of the Paola Santiago and the Sanctuary of Shadows release, we spoke with Tehlor Kay Mejia about the series as a whole.
- If you’ve read Paola Santiago, you won’t be too surprised by her choice of go-to snacks.
- Is there an editing critique that she has the most trouble with?
- Tehlor talks a bit about reconnecting with her culture’s folklore and how different families connect to different ones in a variety of ways.
- When did Tehlor come up with the idea for Paola Santiago?
- Are any of the characters in these books based on people she knows?
- How did Tehlor make sure the books weren’t too scary for her audience?
- Which scenes hit the cutting room floor? Are there any monsters she wishes could’ve been included?
- And, more importantly, would she ever write more stories in this vein so she could include them?
- After getting Naomi on her character quiz, we ask what similarities and differences she has with her.
- Is it TOO personal to ask what kind of nightmares El Cucuy would show someone?
- Out of all three books, which scene is the MOST Paola Santiago?
- We find out the answer to one of our favorite questions to ask—who would be Tehlor’s godly Greek parent?
- What’s the best book she’s read lately?
- And, of course, we have to ask how it feels now that Paola Santiago is getting its own adaptation!
- Does Tehlor have any upcoming projects she can talk about?
- What else is on that author bucket list of hers?
- We get another email from Caoimhe, who tells us about tír na nóg and Setanta (sorry for butchering the pronunciation!!).
- We’re definitely going to do future episodes about more than Greek myths.
- How did Kristen and Karen first meet?
- Caoimhe’s friend Eimear also did a little drawing for us, and it’s so good!
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 45, in which we’ll celebrate Percy Jackson’s birthday and discuss “Percy Jackson and the Bronze Dragon” and “Percy Jackson and the Sword of Hades.”
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.