Prophecy Radio episode #47 does a Deep Dive on the god Dionysus, exploring the origins of his myth and the role he plays in the Percy Jackson series. Karen and Kristen also tackle all the latest news, including the announcement of a brand-new author joining the Rick Riordan Presents imprint, as well as discuss Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian chapter 2. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:01:02)
- We’ve got another OTP Timelines article from Read Riordan, and this time it’s about Frank and Hazel.
- We also get a chance to meet Boulder from Serwa Boateng’s Guide to Vampire Hunting—not to be confused with the Boulder from ATLA.
- P.S. Don’t forget to check out the ReWatchable podcast and look for our Avatar: The Last Airbender round.
- Also, happy birthday to Roseanne A. Brown!!
- HUGE congratulations to Sajni Patel for joining the Rick Riordan Presents family with A Drop of Venom.
- It’s wins all around as Carlos Hernandez joins the Marvel comics family, too!
Deep Dive: Dionysus (00:10:13)
- It’s time to meet Dionysus—or, as he might be better known, Bacchus.
- As is the case with a few of the other gods, Bacchus’ birth was…interesting.
- We also discuss the fact that Dionysus was known as Bacchus to both the Greeks AND the Romans.
- Unfortunately for Bacchus’ aunt and uncle, Hera found out where they were, and it did NOT end well.
- Does she have any morals? Any regrets??
- Wouldn’t it be amazing if Dionysus led the meetings for the LGBTQIA+ Club at Camp Half-Blood?
- Also his superpowers are pretty awesome.
- Was Ampelos a friend or, like, a friend?
- Now we’re gonna be sad every time we eat a grape. 🙁
- At least Bacchus knew how to party—and his followers took it VERY seriously.
- Were any other gods worshipped to the same level as Bacchus?
- His revels were LEGENDARY—and very deadly.
- And those maenads? On another level.
- Do we feel bad for Pentheus?
- Can gods just make up powers when they need them most?
- Ariadne had a relationship glow-up when she went from Theseus to Dionysus.
- Did you know Dionysus invaded India!?
- What about Mr. D from the Percy Jackson books?
- Dionysus is one of the gods we see the most in the series.
- He’s got a lot of pretty interesting powers.
- Do you want to know more about Dionysus too?
Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian discussion (00:35:06)
- It’s time to jump into The Last Olympian chapter 2!
- Prophecy Count #23!
- We’re definitely curious about these Titans.
- TELL US THE PLAN, RICK.
- Under other circumstances, it would be so exciting that Percy got to visit the underwater palace.
- This is not the same Poseidon we’ve seen before.
- Rick really talks about the complexities of war in this book, and it’s only chapter 2!!
- Is Poseidon sometimes a good father?
- We legit forgot that we didn’t know the whole of the Great Prophecy yet.
- Oh, hey, don’t forget about the spy at Camp.
- Speaking of, we’re so excited to go back to CBH!
- Nicolaas tells us he likes the one chapter approach, and we’re definitely feeling it, too!
- Laura also took us on a walk with her puppy. Please send us pictures of your pets!
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 48 (to be determined…).
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.