Prophecy Radio episode #52 explores some ideas for both Percy Jackson-themed board games and original concepts. Karen and Kristen also tackle all the latest news, including the Sun and the Star: A Nico di Angelo Adventure cover reveal, as well as discuss Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian chapter 7. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:02:05)
- Don’t forget that Carlos Hernandez is now OFFICIALLY a Marvel Comics writer!!
- Did you see the GIANT billboard for Ballad & Dagger in NYC?
- Read Riordan got Ren Santiago to write a blog post for them.
- We also got to meet Edison from Lords of Night by J.C. Cervantes, which comes out October 4.
- Happy birthday to Leah Jeffries (aka Annabeth), who turned 13 on September 25!
- We’ve decided on #SolangeloBook as the hashtag for The Sun and the Star: A Nico di Angelo Adventure.
- Rick also wrote a September 28 blog post!
- We discuss the Sun and the Star cover reveal, as well as its artist, Khadijah Khatib.
- The US and UK release dates will both be May 2, 2023—it’s really not far away!
- Mark and Rick will be doing an IN-PERSON tour!
- Could there be more spinoff novels??
- We talk about Nico and Will’s fate and whether we have to be worried.
- Oh, maybe we should read the Sun and the Star synopsis, huh?
- Don’t forget to pre-order The Sun and the Star: A Nico di Angelo Adventure!
Percy Jackson Board Games (00:30:50)
- We’re starting off with which existing board games we could theme to Percy Jackson.
- First up? Clue! What would we use as the different rooms in the mansion?
- Kristen’s also got some ideas for a Percy Jackson Monopoly game.
- How would you organize the gods? What would represent the railroads?
- Caoimhe also has some excellent suggestions for the games pieces.
- There are a lot of ways to adapt The Game of Life for the Percy Jackson world.
- A Guess Who game would actually be really fitting for the demigods.
- This may even entice non-Percy Jackson fans to pick it up!
- If there’s a Harry Potter version of a game, there can be a Percy Jackson version of the game.
- We come up with which gods would be on which special UNO cards.
- Apples to Apples is like a family-friendly version of Cards Against Humanity.
- Does Charging Rhinos always win in YOUR game?
- It’s bonus time! Karen thinks Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert would make for a great Percy Jackson-themed game.
- And if you want to play a Percy Jackson game right now, you could make your own Dungeons and Dragons campaign.
- Let’s talk original games! Should we be giving these ideas away for free?
- Camp Half-Blood Chronicles balances social points and fighting experience to see who comes out on top at the end of the summer.
- Kristen explains all the dating games she and her sister used to play, and it blows Karen’s mind.
- You have to say QUEST! with all the enthusiasm you can muster.
- Kristen explains what it would take to Outwit the Oracle.
- Karen was a little overzealous and came up with one more original game called Underworld, and yes, it borrows some ideas from Hades.
- Yeah, we could really talk about this topic forever, but it’s time to move on!
Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian discussion (01:15:48)
- It’s that time of the week—let’s discuss Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian chapter 7.
- Okay, this part where Grover was in Central Park kind of came out of nowhere…
- Grover has matured a lot over the course of these books, and we love it.
- Two months is better than forever, but Grover’s been out for a WHILE.
- Morpheus is an interesting character, especially after having watched Netflix’s Sandman.
- Okay, Nico tricking Percy…is this a big deal or not?
- But why didn’t Nico just talk to Percy??
- We are definitely not a fan of Hades in this chapter.
- Mrs. O’Leary continues to be the MVP, though.
- What’s everything we learned about Nico’s mom and his childhood?
- It’s a much bigger conversation than we can have right now, but there’s a lot of (valid) criticisms about the depiction of Hades and his children.
- Hades’ plan seems ill-advised, to say the least.
- We FINALLY find out who the lawyer was that freed Nico and Bianca.
- Why couldn’t Hades just let Percy go in four years!?
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 53, where we’ll discuss Serwa Boateng’s Guide to Vampire Hunting by Roseanne A. Brown.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.