Prophecy Radio episode #57 does a Deep Dive on Hermes, which couldn’t come at a better time since Lin-Manuel Miranda was just cast in the role for the Percy Jackson and the Olympians TV show airing on Disney+ in 2024. In addition to talking about this latest bit of news, we also discuss the cover for Fury of the Dragon Goddess by Sarwat Chadda, as well as reread and discuss Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian chapter 11. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:01:39)
- Read Riordan posted Ares’ guide to fatherhood, and it’s just about as helpful as you would think.
- What did you think of the new Ares/Clarisse artwork?
- They also posted the cover for Fury of the Dragon Goddess by Sarwat Chadda, the sequel to City of the Plague God.
- Sarwat is super excited for this book, and so are we!
- Did you catch the video of Rick trolling us for the big casting announcement?
- Okay, let’s talk about the November 7 blog post.
- Yes, Lin-Manuel Miranda has been cast as Hermes in Percy Jackson and the Olympians.
- This is quite a surprise, since in the books, he doesn’t show up until Sea of Monsters.
- What could this mean for the rest of the casting, especially the Big Three?
- We love that Lin’s kid is a fan of the books!
- What scene could Percy, Annabeth, and Hermes have together?
- Annabeth’s reaction to Hermes is going to be VERY interesting.
- Deadline has a better description of Hermes’ role in the show.
- Becky reminds everyone to be kind, and we discuss why some people aren’t happy about the casting.
Deep Dive: Hermes (00:26:12)
- Let’s find out how Hermes ended up going to Juvie.
- Literally, what is Hermes NOT the god of??
- We really love learning new words, can’t you tell?
- Wait. One of his symbols is the WHAT?
- Hermes accomplished a lot as a baby and none of it was good.
- IS Hermes the god of cheeseburgers!?
- It’s cool that Argus is tied into this myth, and we can’t wait to see how he’s portrayed in the show.
- Hermes could seriously use a little self-reflection.
- He’s had a lot of children with a lot of women, and not all of it was consensual.
- As always, please bear with us regarding the pronunciation. We’re trying!
- At what times does Hermes show up throughout the Camp Half-Blood Chronicles?
- We also get Hermes’ physical description, and it reminds us of someone who is decidedly not Lin-Manuel Miranda.
- Can Hermes unlock any phone or computer? How do their powers work with modern technology?
Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian (00:49:11)
- It’s time to talk about The Last Olympian chapter 11.
- Thank goodness for Blackjack because he saved the day multiple times.
- Are we more or less annoyed at Clarisse after this chapter?
- Oh, it’s PERSONAL between Percy and the Minotaur.
- The necklaces on the Minotaur’s axe?? OH, IT’S ON.
- How do those spoils of war work?
- Was the battle with the Minotaur anticlimactic, or was this on purpose?
- Percy has given Ethan SO many chances, the least he could do is NOT stab Annabeth!!
- Is it Kronos or the Kool-Aid Man? YOU DECIDE!
- The realities of war are heavy in this chapter, and it’s especially hard when you’re battling your friends and peers.
- Yet another named character has bitten the dust. Stakes are high.
- It’s a good thing Pegasi gallop when they fly because the alternative is a little strange to imagine.
- Nicolaas reminds us that we’ll see the video shield again in the “Staff of Hermes” short story.
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 58, where we’ll come up with some recipes we think are worthy of the gods.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.