Prophecy Radio episode #58 sees the hosts talking about food. Specifically, what kind of food represents each of the main Olympian gods (plus Hades)? In addition to this, the hosts discuss all the latest news in the Riordanverse, including the casting of Hades and Hephaestus for Percy Jackson and the Olympians, as well as reread and discuss Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian chapter 12. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:03:23)
- Read Riordan released another OTP timelines article, this time about Nico di Angelo and Will Solace.
- Then, we try to guess which gods said what in the Riordanverse.
- Did you do better than us?? You probably did.
- Let’s talk about the November 11 blog post.
- What moments from The Lightning Thief do they need an underwater set for?
- The Underworld set is going to be AMAZING.
- It’s so interesting to think which gods we’re going to see this season and which have to wait.
- It has been confirmed and confirmed again: No actors from the Percy Jackson movies will appear in Percy Jackson and the Olympians on Disney+.
- It’s so amazing to hear that the studio partners keep giving them excellent notes and that everything has been super collaborative.
- We got another update for Daughter of the Deep! How long do you think it’ll be until that movie comes out?
- Make sure you’ve ordered The Sun and the Star by Rick Riordan and Mark Oshiro.
- Hopefully we’re able to go to an in-person tour stop for this book, but if not, maybe we can catch the virtual event.
- Okay, it’s time for the November 18 blog post, which is all about new casting.
- First up is Jay Duplass as Hades.
- Do we know Jay from anything? One of our friends is definitely excited for this one!
- We’ve also got Timothy Omundson as Hephaestus!
- Is there a better, more prolific actor for this role?? We think not!
- Kristen makes a confession that SHOCKS Karen to the core.
- We do a lot of speculating about how Hephaestus’ role could be expanded for the show.
Divine recipes (00:40:41)
- It’s almost Thanksgiving here in the United States, so let’s talk about food!
- Despite the fact that Zeus’ recipe inspired Karen to come up with this series, Kristen had the most trouble with him!
- We both definitely tried to incorporate weather somehow.
- How do you turn Hera’s personality into a recipe??
- We agreed it had to be something homemade and comforting.
- For Poseidon, is there really any choice other than seafood?
- Kristen went for freshness and Karen went for abundance, but both work really well!
- And no, there’s no blue JELL-O with goldfish inside.
- Hades definitely demands some sort of MEAT.
- We both also incorporated fire in different ways.
- And maybe the Italian flag??
- Athena was a little bit of a tricky one, but we both knew it HAD to involve olives or olive oil in some way.
- Plus, it had to be light and have enough substance to sustain you during battle!
- Kristen’s pick for Ares was honestly the best recipe out of the entire list.
- We both knew it had to be meat, and it had to be violent.
- Kristen also describes Ares in the nicest way possible.
- Next up is Dionysus, and we go in two different directions for this one.
- Kristen was thinking parties, and Karen was thinking wine. How could you go wrong with either?
- Kristen knew she HAD to work oranges into her recipe for Apollo.
- Karen had a similar reasoning for going with her choice for Apollo as well.
- Artemis is next on our list, and Kristen had a really clever way of working one of her major symbols into her choice.
- Why did we both think Artemis was vegetarian?? She’s the goddess of the HUNT.
- And yes, Karen found a way to incorporate mushrooms. Obviously.
- Hephaestus is such an interesting god to find a recipe for, and apparently Kristen had NO trouble with this one.
- That being said, we think of Hephaestus VERY differently.
- For Aphrodite, are there any options other than chocolate??
- Callie interrupts us to eat a little bit of dinner.
- Whatever Aphrodite gets, it has to be elegant and decadent.
- Demeter is an interesting one, but Kristen found a really good recipe for that.
- Meanwhile, Karen went with something a little more classic.
- Hermes was another god who was really fun and interesting to come up with recipes for.
- Seriously, tacos are so versatile and they’re good to eat on the go!
- Our last god on the list is Hestia, and we knew from the get-go it would be a little bit difficult.
- Whatever her meal is, it’s gotta be roasted over an open fire!
- Was this fun? Did you like it? Should we do some more?
Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian (01:24:45)
- It’s time to talk about The Last Olympian chapter 12.
- Is this the first time we’re meeting Will Solace?
- He must be an excellent healer if Percy is allowing him to look after Annabeth.
- How much does Pompona look like Demeter?
- Watch out for that foreshadowing! It’ll bite you right on the nose.
- We really wanted to root for you, Ethan!
- We’re really feeling the Percabeth vibes in this chapter!!
- There was a point in time where Luke wanted to run away from Kronos and everything he had to do. How do we feel about this?
- Grover returns to deliver some bad news and eat some furniture.
- Karen totally forgets the word for hellhounds.
- We’re officially up to Prophecy Count #27.
- Nico needs to learn the delicate art of listening to your elders.
- Did Maria di Angelo make the right call, or was she being naïve?
- Zeus would totally kill children.
- Poor Persephone would’ve been forced to live with Hades’ mistress. YIKES.
- Hades goes full God of Death on the Oracle, and we just feel so bad for her.
- Rachel’s father is kind of the worst.
- Kristen has ANOTHER confession.
- Henry lets us know that there’s a Mythic Quest/Percy Jackson crossover…in Becky’s dreams.
- Phoebe tries to help us out with the whole sand dollar problem.
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 59, where we’ll do a Monster Guide on pit scorpions.
This episode’s hosts are: Karen Rought and Kristen Kranz.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Follow Us: Twitter // Instagram // Facebook // Tumblr
Listen and Subscribe: Audioboom // Apple // Spotify
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at email@example.com or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.