Prophecy Radio episode #59 does another Monster Guide, this time on pit scorpions (and all related materials). In addition, the hosts discuss all the latest news in the Riordanverse, though we’re happy to report it looks like everyone took a break during Thanksgiving week here in the States, as well as reread and discuss Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian chapter 13. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:02:00)
- There’s not a lot of news this time, which is pretty nice after the last couple of weeks.
- Read Riordan posted an article asking what are the gods and demigods thankful for this year?
- Becky answers a question about whether more The Sun and the Star samplers will be available.
- We also learned that the book will be 480 pages long.
Monster Guide: Pit Scorpions (00:06:41)
- In turns out pit scorpions are kind of generic monsters, BUT we did find some scorpion-related content to talk about.
- Hesiod wrote of Skorpios and Orion, and there are several different versions of this myth.
- But they were both put into the sky, and they never appear at the same time!
- We also learn all about the Skorpios constellation and how it relates to Kristen and Karen specifically.
- Oh, and do you know what the Skorpios constellation is called in a culture that is very specific and related to our interests??
- Scorpio is associated with death and rebirth, and you know what? That just makes a lot of sense.
- Can you guess what planet rules this sign?
- Ovid also wrote about Phaethon, the son of Helios, and how he drove his father’s chariot among the stars.
- It’s interesting to think about what real life things this story tries to explain.
- But what about pit scorpions in Percy Jackson?
- Let’s just say, we wouldn’t want to battle this monster, like, ever.
- Percy is also super lucky to have survived being stung by one.
- Do the scorpions come out to play during any of the battles?
Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian (00:19:12)
- It’s time to talk about The Last Olympian chapter 13.
- Grover and Anya need to form a No Bunnies Allowed Club House.
- Would YOU have a snowball fight with a bunch of ice giants?
- We wonder how giants are usually portrayed throughout various pieces of media.
- Prometheus is a super interesting character, and we really liked his presence in the story.
- What advancement could Prometheus have given mankind?
- Can we actually trust what Prometheus is saying?
- That back-and-forth between Percy and Ethan was fantastic.
- This is Prophecy Count #28 because we make the rules.
- It couldn’t have been easy for Luke to grow up with May as his mother.
- How did May end up the way she did? We might be skipping ahead here.
- Okay, we don’t feel bad for Hermes here, but hear us out…
- We get a nice little Grover moment in this chapter.
- Who started the rumor that Pandora had a box!?
- Prometheus is very good at his job, and you know what really helps? He’s not wrong.
- But you know who’s worse than the Olympian gods. KRONOS!
- Percy was on FIRE this chapter! Figuratively speaking.
- Thanks for your email, Edward! We love learning about the inconsistencies and mistakes throughout the books.
- Nicolaas gives us another Percy Jackson fun fact.
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 60, where we’ll talk about fanart, complete with a couple surprises!
This episode’s hosts are: Karen Rought and Kristen Kranz.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Follow Us: Twitter // Instagram // Facebook // Tumblr
Listen and Subscribe: Audioboom // Apple // Spotify
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.