Prophecy Radio episode #60 talks about all things fan art, and even has a special guest! Please welcome Sarah Barra (aka @Hellredsky), who graciously joined us for another fun discussion. We also talk about all the latest news in the Riordanverse, including the new Rick Riordan Presents author who recently joined the roster, as well as reread and discuss Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian chapter 14. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:02:28)
- The start of this episode is chaotic, but what else is new?
- We recorded a little early this week, so news is light.
- Read Riordan lets us know some great gifts you can receive as a demigod.
- They definitely stole our idea for next week! Except no they didn’t, our idea is pretty different.
- Rebecca Kuss at Rick Riordan Presents/Disney-Hyperion announced a new book coming to the RRP imprint!
- Judy I. Lin has joined Rick Riordan Presents!
- We’ve definitely heard of A Magic Steeped in Poison.
- It’ll be so fun and interesting to read about Taiwanese folklore!
- Karen is super excited about a horror novel joining the lineup!
- Kristen is…not. (The book she references is The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich.)
- This book takes place in Vancouver, so we can live vicariously through the characters to explore the city where Percy Jackson and the Olympians is filming!
- Kristen rebukes Karen’s idea of exposure therapy for horror novels.
Percy Jackson fanart (feat. Sarah Barra aka @Hellredsky) (00:09:31)
- Welcome, Sarah! It’s so great to finally talk in person because we’ve been mutually supporting each other for a while now!
- Sarah tells us about how she’s been drawing fanart since she was little!
- They also give us some good advice on how to keep the enjoyment of your craft alive when it’s become your fulltime job.
- And if you’re looking for some good tools, Sarah has some great advice for that, too!
- Remember: Digital art is just as valid and beautiful as traditional art mediums.
- Does anyone else struggle to color in their creations?
- You can’t please everyone! Even ugly or bad art invokes an emotion, and that’s important, too.
- Create something YOU enjoy, first and foremost.
- It’s so interesting how a fandom can grow into something new thanks to fanart and fandom.
- In particular, we’re thinking of Velinxi, whose art is monumentally influential in the Percy Jackson fandom.
- It’s fun to put your own spin on a character like Percy Jackson, and it’s interesting to hear how Sarah does that in their artwork.
- All three of us talk about how old we are and how long we’ve been around the internet and fandom culture.
- Social media might be a dumpster fire on any given day, but it also brings us a lot of opportunities to meet new people and see different kinds of artwork.
- What are some of our biggest fandoms? Shout-out to Teen Wolf!!
- Kristen and Karen are huge fans of Karen Hallion and Lord Mesa.
- Sarah tells us how she first got into Percy Jackson.
- Some of Sarah’s favorite PJO artists include: Viria, Velinxi, Sarah Moustafa (@smoustart), Arisha (@arishatistic) Drazen (@spiderdeli), and Marik (@marik_draw).
- What kind of influences, good or bad, will the show have on the fandom once it comes out?
- We love the Percy Jackson multiverse!
- Sarah makes a good point about how Clarisse’s portrayal in the fandom could change a lot because of Dior Goodjohn’s casting in the show.
- Karen wants to see more demigods wearing glasses!
- All of us also want to see more diversity in the fandom!
- We’re giving away one of Sarah’s $40 chibi commissions!
- The rules are simple: 1. Make sure you’re following @prophecypodcast and @Hellredsky on Twitter, and 2. Tell us who your favorite Percy Jackson character is using the hashtag #ProphecyRadioGiveaway.
- You’ll have until December 19 to enter, and then we’ll pick one random winner to receive the prize!
- Make sure you follow Sarah @Hellredsky on Twitter/Instagram/Tumblr/Hive/Mastodon, as well as check out their ko.fi as well as their podcast Herosgrafia.
- “Bye bye!” “(I waved.)”
- We had a BLAST. Thanks again to Sarah, and we can’t wait to have her on again!
Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian (01:08:50)
- It’s time to talk about The Last Olympian chapter 14.
- Why was this chapter SO. LONG.
- Kristen’s recap this week is poetry to the ears.
- We loved hearing Thalia’s perspective on the whole LuKronos situation.
- It’ll be so interesting to see how the Hunters are portrayed in the show.
- Why is Thalia defending Hermes in this situation?
- Percy doesn’t want anymore nightmares, but you can’t always get what you want.
- We’re up to Prophecy Count #29!
- Prophetic dreams are a demigod thing, and it’s simply not mentioned enough.
- What does Clarisse dream about??
- We loved the callback to Auntie Em’s Garden Gnome Emporium.
- Why do certain monsters take longer to reform? What’s the correlation between intelligence and the length of time it takes for them to return from Tartarus?
- Are we meant to empathize with Ethan Nakamura at all?
- When did Luke start regretting his decision to join with Kronos?
- Oh, to be a fly on the wall inside Kronos’ mind.
- Has the Big House always been blue!?
- Why does the Oracle choose young girls as its vessel? (Is this an Apollo thing…?)
- Was May Castellan unstable even before she was hit with Hades’ curse?
- We kind of spoiled ourselves last week. Oops.
- Have we seen Thalia use lightning before!?
- Okay, how did Percy create that hurricane? And on ACCIDENT?
- Can we assume Percy can control hurricanes, too? And if so…what the heck, man!? You’re falling down on the job.
- We once again discuss whether Percy Jackson is overpowered.
- We try to figure out where the Clazmonian Sow is from.
- How do the lion statues come to life?
- That visual of Percy lassoing the flying pig is hilarious.
- Jessica chimes in with some comments on the gods and the Fates.
- Espeon is excited about the new Rick Riordan Presents book, not least because it’s a young adult book!
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 61, where we’ll try to come up with a few gifts good enough for the gods!
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at email@example.com or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.