Prophecy Radio episode #62 does a Deep Dive on Chiron, trainer of heroes and the wisest of all centaurs! We also talk about the most recent news in the Riordanverse, including the Mark of Athena graphic novel cover reveal and all the latest on the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series coming to Disney+, as well as reread and discuss Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian chapter 16. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:01:25)
- December 19 is your last day to enter our art giveaway! See instructions.
- And don’t forget about the livestream fundraiser. Details here.
- Read Riordan gave us a last-minute holiday gift guide from the gods and demigods.
- We got the cover reveal for Serwa Boateng’s Guide to Witchcraft and Mayhem by Roseanne A. Brown.
- We even got the cover reveal for the upcoming Mark of Athena graphic novel.
- Hazel’s birthday was on December 17!
- Cool. Awkward. Black., edited by Karen Strong, features short stories from Roseanne A. Brown and Kwame Mbalia.
- Someone on Twitter also asked Becky about merchandise, and she talked a bit about how it all depends on the success of the show.
- As Percy Jackson and the Olympians goes into their winter break, we probably won’t be getting the Zeus and Posiedon casting.
- In a now-deleted Tweet, Becky also talks about seeing a network cut of an episode, and how it’s interesting to see what ends up being cut.
- Charlie Bushnell has officially wrapped on the first season.
- Jessica Parker Kennedy talks about playing Medusa.
- Becky and Stephanie Lurie also helped us figure out approximately how many books Rick might’ve signed in his lifetime.
- Ashlee will no longer be in charge of Rick’s socials, but here’s an update on what they’ll be doing (and their dream jobs for the future).
- We also go through some new Goodreads answers from Rick Riordan.
- There are no current plans for a Daughter of the Deep sequel.
- That also goes for any additional Percy Jackson illustrated editions.
- Will we ever see Leo Valdez again?
- It turns out we’ll learn how Will identifies in The Sun and the Star.
- Is there a Magnus Chase adaptation in our future?
- Could Cursed Carnival and Other Calamities ever get an adaptation?
Deep Dive: Chiron (00:30:30)
- There weren’t many references to Chiron in Percy Jackson’s Greek Heroes and Greek Gods.
- The Party Ponies are much closer to what actual centaurs are like.
- Chiron is pretty different because he doesn’t share the same ancestry as the other centaurs.
- There are several different origin stories for centaurs, and all of them are…weird.
- Did you know some centaurs are horned!?
- Why does it always come back to Zeus and Hera?
- Poor Chiron didn’t have a very nice childhood.
- How do you teach a horse gymnastics!?
- We find out what Chiron is REALLY supposed to look like.
- We get into the age-old debate of how centaurs would wear pants.
- Who are some of the heroes Chiron trained?
- Karen discovers a fun fact about Disney’s Hercules!
- How did Chiron die?
- What was Chiron like in the Percy Jackson books?
- More importantly, what did he look like?
- Why wasn’t he a white stallion in any of the visual adaptations of the books?
- Chiron has a couple of pretty interesting abilities.
- What are some Chiron-related fun facts from the series?
Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian (00:47:39)
- This week, we’re reading The Last Olympian chapter 16.
- Did this chapter make us emotional? Did we find it exciting?
- Is it believable that Annabeth was able to fly the helicopter?
- This part is going to be SO exciting in the show.
- If this is Rachel without any training and focus, imagine what’s coming next!
- Do we sympathize with Percy about being mad that Rachel told him he’s not the hero?
- Is it weird that Chiron really wasn’t worried when Rachel showed up with some possible prophetic thoughts and dreams?
- We’re up to Prophecy Count #31! And Demeter and Persephone definitely stole the show.
- How do we feel about Nico’s arguments to get Hades to help the Olympians?
- Seriously, Hades needs some family therapy.
- Is Ethan purposefully trying to stall Kronos? Is he having regrets?
- Does Prometheus think he’s smarter than Kronos?
- That drakon is very large. And very close.
- Percy’s anger throughout The Last Olympian is totally valid.
- We’re constantly impressed with how good of a leader and strategist Percy is.
- Why was Silena the one to lead the charge with the Ares Cabin?
- We really have to wait until next week to talk about what sort of impact this will have on the book and all these characters.
- Jessica writes in to tell us she totally agrees with us on the concept of Western Civilization.
- Phoebe thinks Dionysus is afraid of the Party Ponies, and we find that visual totally hilarious.
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 63, which will look back on everything that happened in 2022 and all that we accomplished!
This episode’s hosts are: Karen Rought and Kristen Kranz.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Follow Us: Twitter // Instagram // Facebook // Tumblr
Listen and Subscribe: Audioboom // Apple // Spotify
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.