Prophecy Radio episode #65 takes a look at both the Lightning Thief illustrated edition, as well as the graphic novel. We’re once again skipping the news as we take a little break for the holidays, but we’ll be back next week to catch you up on everything you missed. And don’t worry! We’re still going to reread and discuss Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian chapter 19. We’re getting close to the end now! New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
The Lightning Thief illustrated edition/graphic novel (00:01:12)
- Let’s jump right into discussing Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief Illustrated Edition, which was published in 2018 and illustrated by John Rocco.
- We really liked John’s dedication in the back of the book.
- It’s so sad there are no current plans for more, but maybe the TV show will change that!
- Who doesn’t love a map in the front of a book!?
- We’re super impressed by all of the illustrations, big and small.
- Did they accidentally spoil Percy’s godly parentage at the end of chapter 1?
- Unlike most other depictions of him, Chiron is actually a white stallion in the illustrated edition!
- Are we disappointed we can’t see Ares’ motorcycle seat made of human skin??
- The official merchandise HAS to include a ballpoint pen.
- If those little mechanical spiders were meant to be a jump-scare, they worked!
- How beautiful was that sea spirit who gave Percy the pearls!?
- The way they placed certain characters on the page, like Procrustes and Zeus and Poseidon, was super impactful.
- Clarisse is SO TALL in that Capture the Flag illustration.
- Being compared to Gabe is NOT a compliment.
- The scenes that take place in the Underworld are so iconic.
- What did we think of the actual style of art that John Rocco brought to the page?
- Now it’s time to switch over to Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief: The Graphic Novel.
- We compare the art in each book, and whether the styles are at odds.
- We go through all the differences between the book and the graphic novel, according to the Fandom website.
- Most of these are understandable, but a few of them were a little surprising.
- The Trio looks SO much older in the graphic novel, but Kristen has an idea as to why that may be.
- Seeing so much of the Lotus Hotel was pretty cool!
- We hope the show makes the Olympian thrones really individualized and cool.
- Okay, but why is Grover so hot at the end of the graphic novel!?
- There are some scenes that were MADE for this format.
Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian (00:39:11)
- We’re talking about The Last Olympian chapter 19.
- This is the biggest of the biggest chapters, but that makes sense considering this is the climax of the whole book.
- Rick’s writing is so cinematic, and this book is a testament to that.
- What do we think about Hera’s curse coming into play at the end here?
- Luke smiling at Annabeth is like Void Stiles smiling at Scott.
- Grover playing his reed pipes and growing grass was surprisingly helpful.
- Is Aryan going to take reed pipe lessons!?
- We totally get why people like Ethan Nakamura so much, even after everything he did.
- Would you read a standalone novel about Ethan?
- Did you envision Typhon the way he’s described in the book?
- We got GOOSEBUMPS when Poseidon and Tyson showed up.
- We’re glad Annabeth got so many moments in this chapter!
- Hestia also has some time to shine, and it’s all so significant. Rick is a genius.
- Does it make sense that Annabeth’s knife was the cursed blade?
- Okay, let’s talk about that moment where Luke asks Annabeth if she loved him.
- Did Luke deserve to go to Elysium?
- Thank GOODNESS we have a few more chapters to wrap up this book.
- A Positive Guy lets us know just how much he loves the illustrated edition.
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 66, where we’ll catch up on all the latest news throughout the Riordanverse.
This episode’s hosts are: Karen Rought and Kristen Kranz.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Follow Us: Twitter // Instagram // Facebook // Tumblr
Listen and Subscribe: Audioboom // Apple // Spotify
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.