Prophecy Radio episode #71 celebrates Percabeth in honor of Valentine’s Day, and we can’t wait to talk about how naturally their relationship evolved over the course of all five Percy Jackson and the Olympians books. Plus, we talk about all the latest news in the Riordanverse, including the the Winston Chu vs. the Whimsies sequel title, as well as read and discuss “Percy Jackson and the Staff of Hermes.” Honestly, we kind of impressed ourselves this week, because it was the perfect story to read alongside our PercyxAnnabeth discussion. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and updates (00:03:06)
- The Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief movie has been out for 13 years!
- It once again makes us appreciate how long it’s taken to get a faithful adaptation of this book.
- Read Riordan posted a belated Valentine’s Day gift guide from some overlooked demigods.
- While Rachel Elizabeth Dare isn’t a demigod, her answer was probably the best out of all of them.
- There was also a cute little interview between Rick Riordan and Stacey Lee, and we even found out the name of the Winston Chu vs. the Whimsies sequel!
- Daniel José Older’s shop is now open, which means you can get signed copies of his stuff!
- Jason Gray Stanford has confirmed he’ll be in Percy Jackson and the Olympians season 1 as Maron the satyr.
Percabeth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians) (00:10:55)
- Valentine’s Day seemed like the perfect excuse to talk about Percabeth—especially because we just finished the first series!
- Let’s talk about where they started out in Lightning Thief.
- It was kind of nice they were strangers and then became friends because of their quest.
- That Athena vs. Poseidon rivalry is REAL.
- Grover is the common denominator between these two. That, and being a demigod.
- That first Seaweed Brain is truly something special.
- Next up is Sea of Monsters, and things are TENSE.
- That being said, Annabeth really opens up in this book, though that was sort of out of her control.
- What’s a little kiss on the cheek amongst friends?
- Titan’s Curse is where the feelings start coming hard and fast.
- The idea of Annabeth becoming a Hunter of Artemis is…not ideal.
- We hope there’s lots of Leah in this season of the show.
- Aphrodite definitely helps Percy realize his feelings are not just platonic.
- In Battle of the Labyrinth we get a real kiss!
- Unfortunately, confusion over Luke, Rachel, and Calypso means these two aren’t really on the same page.
- This extends to The Last Olympian, where they’re separated for a good chunk of the book.
- But that doesn’t mean Annabeth wouldn’t sacrifice her life for Percy!
- And what does Percy do in return? Decline immortality, of course.
- That underwater kiss means these two are definitely together!
- Was this a fitting conclusion to their relationship?
- Thank goodness we’ll get more in the Heroes of Olympus series.
- We’ve both got some favorite moments we want to talk about in depth.
- And a couple favorite lines that are super special, too.
- We’ll have to do this again when we finish the Heroes of Olympus series.
“Percy Jackson and the Staff of Hermes” (00:57:16)
- We still can’t get over how perfect it was that we picked “The Staff of Hermes” to read this week.
- Percy and Annabeth have been together for one month now!
- Kristen really felt for Percy in this opening scene.
- HERNIAS ARE US. Wait, no. That’s not right.
- Karen can appreciate the Mortal Kombat reference, even if it wasn’t spelled correctly.
- Poor George and Martha!
- This story confirms Luke had feelings for Annabeth, which we’re just gonna gloss over.
- More interestingly, it seems like all has NOT been forgiven between Annabeth and Hermes.
- It sounds like Janus is still messing up network television.
- Percy agrees to a deal with Hermes, and they have to stop using Annabeth’s shield for a cheese platter.
- Cacus’ hideout was, like, super disgusting.
- That said, we actually kind of liked him? He has that entrepreneurial spirit!
- The staff being stolen is kind of a big deal, and this story has a lot more impact on the canon of the series than “The Singer of Apollo” did.
- Annabeth’s shield gets destroyed here, which explains why we don’t remember it from the rest of the series!
- Percy’s “solution” to their problem wasn’t great.
- LASER MODE is pretty cool, albeit dangerous. Don’t try this at home, kids.
- HER NAME IS ANNABETH AND SHE’S ONE OF A KIND.
- With Cacus defeated, Percy and Annabeth get to go on a lovely date for their one-month anniversary.
- JustAPositiveGuy has a great headcanon for Percabeth.
- Krose reminds us how many great moments for Annabeth and Percy there will be in Heroes of Olympus.
- We also asked everyone what Percy would’ve become the god of, and we got some truly inspired answers.
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 72, where we’ll discuss Winston Chu vs. the Whimsies by Stacey Lee.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.