Prophecy Radio episode #73 looks back on our re-read of Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Which book is our favorite? Did any of our opinions change now that we’re older and wiser? We also tackle all the latest Riordanverse news, including more information about Percy Jackson and the Chalice of the Gods and some books from a few Rick Riordan Presents authors we think you might like. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and updates (00:02:59)
- We’re back to talk about Percy Jackson and the Chalice of the Gods because Read Riordan had a little teaser about what the chickens will get up to in this story.
- Rick also wrote a blog on February 24 that gave us some information about the UK and international additions, as well as signed copies.
- We’ve heard variations of his answer before, but we discuss the latest bit of information regarding whether there will be more Percy Jackson books after Chalice of the Gods.
- If you love Magnus Chase and Alex Fierro, then Read Riordan has the article for you!
- Karen wrote a book review for The Last Tale of the Flower Bride by Roshani Chokshi, so be sure to check that out.
- And don’t forget that Lucha of the Night Forest by Tehlor Kay Mejia and Into the Light by Mark Oshiro both come out soon!
Percy Jackson and the Olympians Retrospective (00:13:16)
- Now that we’ve finished all five books in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, we’re doing a bit of a retrospective to see how we feel about them overall.
- Even though we all remember what happens in The Lightning Thief, we revisit it for reasons.
- This book is so good at introducing us to this world and the characters that occupy it.
- Can you imagine if someone was like nah, we don’t need anymore books about Percy Jackson?
- These kids were SO YOUNG, and things just keep getting darker as they grow up.
- Moving on to Sea of Monsters, it’s apparent that this book laid a lot of groundwork for character development.
- It was nice to see more Clarisse, but this book also brought us Tyson!!!
- He’s so genuine and loveable. He was really the perfect character to teach Percy and Annabeth a valuable lesson.
- As we start talking about Titan’s Curse, we confess which books are our least favorites (but we swear we still love them!).
- Annabeth is gone for SO LONG in this book.
- The Hunters of Artemis are so iconic, and it’s pretty cool to meet and get to know Artemis better.
- On a scale from approachable to aloof, where do all of the gods land?
- We get to say hello to Nico, but we also have to say goodbye to Bianca.
- Battle of the Labyrinth is such a dense book because there’s so much going on.
- We also have to balance a lot of characters in this book, both new and old.
- Nico has a lot of feelings, and we can’t say we blame him.
- The Labyrinth is a character in and of itself.
- That battle at Camp Half-Blood was a lot more significant than we first realized.
- Now we’re onto the The Last Olympian
- There’s a lot of Backstory! in this book.
- We kind of love that the Battle of Manhattan takes up so much room.
- That final confrontation is iconic, and so is Percy’s decision to turn down immortality.
- Btw, Percabeth is a go.
- All right, what’s our favorite book, and why?
- It’s difficult choosing a favorite character, but we’ve got some pretty solid options.
- There are so many iconic moments from the books, and we can’t wait to see them in the show.
- We should’ve totally planned to pick out our favorite creatures/monsters, too.
- We have a lot of favorite quotes to choose from, and it was tough to decide.
- This time, we stayed away from Percabeth quotes when we could, since we just talked about them in the last episode.
- This is yet another reminder that Rick is SO good at first lines.
- Now that we’ve really dissected these books, did we have any changes of heart? Did anything surprise us?
- Lastly, what are we looking forward to seeing the most when we finally get to Heroes of Olympus?
- Nicolaas writes in to give us his answers to all our same questions.
- Karen’s in the hot seat…is she gonna be replaced!?
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 74, where we’ll do an overview of the Egyptian gods before tackling The Red Pyramid chapter 1.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.