Prophecy Radio episode #79 discusses our favorite references to Egyptian mythology in pop culture. We also catch up on all the latest Riordanverse news, including that Read Riordan article about Hypnos, which we’ll see in The Sun and the Star. Lastly, we continue our journey through The Kane Chronicles with The Red Pyramid chapter 6—and finally get some answers! Remember, we’re keeping this discussion spoiler-free! New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and we keep our discussions PG-13.
News and updates (00:05:56)
- Have you played Immortals Fenyx Rising?
- Read Riordan reminds us about some minor Greek gods and goddesses we forgot existed.
- They also did a spotlight on Hypnos, who we’ll meet in The Sun and the Star.
- There’s not as much information in here as there was in the Amphithemus article, but Karen’s looking out for all those Nyx references.
- There’s apparently going to be a Lightning Thief tie-in edition.
- Plus another Camp Half-Blood Confidential?
- It’s been one whole year since Walker has been cast, and it feels both like an eternity and no time at all.
- Did you catch the video of Timothy Omundson talking about being cast as Hephaestus in Percy Jackson and the Olympians? Because it’s pretty great.
- Are you Team Kristen or Team Kristen’s Brother?
Egyptian mythology in pop culture (00:20:13)
- Kristen kicks us off with an Easter classic—The 10 Commandments.
- She explains what it’s about and some of its shortcomings.
- Apparently there are a lot of drapes?
- It doesn’t have mythology, per se, but there are a lot of cultural aspects to the film.
- Karen’s gotta talk about The Mummy (1999), of course.
- This kicked off her interest in Egyptian mythology.
- The flashbacks to Ancient Egypt were probably not super accurate, but interesting, nonetheless.
- We don’t talk about The Mummy 3. Or the Mummy reboot. Or The Scorpion King.
- Next up is Prince of Egypt, Kristen’s second pick.
- This one is animated! It also contains a chariot race explaining why the Sphinx is missing a nose.
- Moon Knight is a much more recent property dealing in Egyptian mythology.
- Watching this show really got Karen excited about reading The Kane Chronicles.
- They also highlighted a lot of lesser known Egyptian deities.
- You can’t talk about Egyptian mythology in pop culture without mentioning Indiana Jones! Specifically, The Lost Ark.
- They also have to find the last piece to the Staff of Ra!
- The Map Room at Tanis shows a lot of hieroglyphics and iconography.
- Have you ever heard of the book series Everworld by K.A. Applegate?
- Gods and monsters and heroes from different pantheons all exist in the same world!
- Egyptian mythology definitely existed, but Karen mostly remembers Hel from Realm of the Reaper.
- Next up is Night at the Museum, which actually did a lot of things right by Egyptian culture and mythology.
- Karen also learned something knew about SHAZAM and Black Adam.
- Do you have any other suggestions of books, movies, or TV that talk about Egyptian mythology?
The Kane Chronicles: The Red Pyramid (00:56:39)
- This week, we’re reading The Red Pyramid chapter 6.
- Kristen totally called that sleeping without the headrest was a mistake.
- We got our first Prophecy Count of The Kane Chronicles!
- How many gods were released? How many are on the board right now?
- Is Bast the one that’s weak and easily manipulated?
- Karen went down a rabbit hole about dreaming in black and white.
- Karen knows what it’s like to wake up to a cat on her chest.
- What’s up with Sadie and Carter’s clothes?
- We really enjoyed the moment where Carter discussed why he dresses the way he does.
- Khufu’s meal choices are interesting…
- What do we know about lapis lazuli, and will it be important?
- We are big fans of Philip of Macedonia.
- Will there be invisible pets in the future?
- We finally, FINALLY get some answers!!
- Are Egyptian gods still worshipped?
- Can you compare the supercharged relics to the Spoils of War from Percy Jackson?
- It’s sad that Carter never knew the stakes when it came to his life on the road with his father.
- We finally know why Sadie and Carter were separated!
- The Duat is such an interesting concept, with such incredible imagery.
- Someone’s totally gonna trick them into opening the door.
- Seaweed Brain Podcast got us thinking about the future of Nico and Bianca.
- Remember to send us your unhinged The Sun and the Star theories!
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 80, in which we’ll talk about The 39 Clues: The Maze of Bones (the graphic novel) and chat with Ethan Young before discussing The Red Pyramid chapter 7.
This episode’s hosts are: Karen Rought and Kristen Kranz.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Follow Us: Twitter // Instagram // Facebook // Tumblr
Listen and Subscribe: Audioboom // Apple // Spotify
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at email@example.com or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.