Prophecy Radio episode #85 discusses The Last Fallen Moon, the second book in Graci Kim’s Gifted Clans series based on Korean mythology and folklore. Plus, we tackle all the latest Riordanverse news, including an update on the WGA strike and the fact that the official Percy Jackson and the Olympians Twitter account finally posted after four months of silence. This week, we’re also reading The Kane Chronicles: The Red Pyramid chapter 11! New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and we keep our discussions PG-13.
News and updates (00:02:35)
- Happy birthday (and happy Pride Month) to Piper McLean!
- The official Percy Jackson and the Olympians Twitter account finally broke their four-month silence to tell us…nothing.
- Becky gave us a little more info about the WGA strike and what mini-rooms are.
- Oh, and Read Riordan wants us to meet the water dragon goddess from The Last Fallen Realm.
The Last Fallen Moon by Graci Kim (00:14:29)
- We’re so excited to be talking about this book this week, especially with the next one right around the corner.
- Don’t forget, you can read Karen’s Last Fallen Moon book review from last year.
- Also be sure to check out the interview we did with Graci Kim (which also links to the podcast episode if you’d like to listen instead)!
- So…what is this book about, exactly?
- This book starts off rough—everyone is so mean to Riley and her family.
- Why did Riley insist on going it alone!?
- How amazing was the depiction of the Spiritrealm?
- It’s interesting to think about how stories and mythologies change over the years and WHY they change.
- Torture is still torture, even when it’s disguised as fun.
- We talk a lot about the changes to Hell, and why Graci made them.
- Karen once again talks about the brilliance of shared universes.
- Hattie and Riley’s relationship has been so wonderful to experience.
- We talk about some of the new characters we get to meet in this book, but we’ll save the details for the spoiler section.
- Speaking of…the major spoilers start at 00:45:34!
- Let’s talk about that forgotten underwater kingdom, shall we?
- The cosplaying protestors were pretty great, and we have a very important question for our listeners.
- What about all the creatures we meet in this book?
- Riley goes through so much in this book! Let’s break it all down.
- Was Hattie being selfish and impulsive? Was Riley being too self-sacrificing?
- Can you believe they actually got arrested!?
- Were we surprised by the mayor?
- Shout-out to that edible forest! We can’t wait to see the food in Fallen Realm.
- Of course the one thing that can destroy the snake is the one thing they gave away!
- The culmination of the story in this book is pretty huge.
- Let’s talk about Hattie’s big reveal.
- That hairpin was important after all!
- Thank goodness they got the memory book back!
- Will there be more Emmett in the next book?
The Kane Chronicles: The Red Pyramid discussion (14:31:37)
- This week, we’re reading The Red Pyramid chapter 11!
- Do you know what a group of scorpions is called?
- It was really great for Sadie and Carter to talk about the difficulties in their lives, even if their conversation got cut off.
- What were our first reactions to Zia Rashid?
- Would you have fun memorizing all those auspicious times?
- We want a fire-breathing staff!
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 86, in which we’ll discuss The Last Fallen Realm by Graci Kim, plus an interview with the author herself!
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.