Prophecy Radio episode #86 discusses The Last Fallen Realm, the final book in Graci Kim’s Gifted Clans series based on Korean mythology and folklore. Plus, we tackle all the latest Riordanverse news, including Rick and Becky’s birthaversary. Instead of our usual chapter discussion of The Red Pyramid, we have a fun chat with Graci Kim about her series, now that it’s done, and what’s coming up next for her. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and we keep our discussions PG-13.
News and updates (00:00:59)
- A very happy birthaversary to Rick and Becky, who celebrated their 59th birthday and their 38th year of marriage on June 5.
- Rick even wrote a blog post about it, which included some pretty fantastic pictures.
- Congratulations to Charlie Bushnell, who just graduated high school!
- Brave + Kind Books is re-streaming the Atlanta The Sun and the Star event on June 12 at 5pm ET.
- There are still signed book available, and they’ll even ship internationally!
- We also announce the countries of the people who won our international giveaway!
- This Hollywood Reporter interview doesn’t have a lot of new info, but it’s still nice hearing Rick talk so passionately about combating the racism Leah has experienced since her casting.
- Read Riordan has a whole article on the bulgae from The Last Fallen Realm.
- If you missed the Last Fallen Realm virtual event from Mysterious Galaxy, you can watch it on YouTube and even order a copy of the book with a signed bookplate!
- Karen goes through some of the highlights from the event in case you don’t have time to watch the whole thing yourself!
The Last Fallen Realm by Graci Kim (00:16:25)
- What is this book about? We give you a very short synopsis.
- Read Karen’s Last Fallen Realm book review!
- This book takes place in Vegas! Have we ever been there?
- Reality is collapsing, and even though it’s cool to see the Godrealm’s version of our stores, it’s not a good thing!
- People are so skeptical, they didn’t think any of what was happening was actually real.
- Everyone is back for this book, and it was a lot of characters to keep track of!
- Did anyone else vibe something more between Dahl and Taeyo?
- We really love how Riley’s parents adopted Dahl into the family.
- We get to meet the other goddesses in this book, and they’re pretty interesting! Do we have a favorite?
- We’re kicking off the spoiler section at 00:31:19.
- What did we think of the Water Dragon Goddess?
- And we finally get some answers about Hattie!
- It was really beautiful seeing Hattie support Riley and help her combat her imposter syndrome.
- We would TOTALLY have Moon Bunny ears if we could.
- The mini golf tournament had total Alice in Wonderland vibes.
- How useful would it be if we could fold space??
- We absolutely loved the bulgae and what the second trial ended up being.
- If you’ve watched The Good Place, you’ve heard of the Trolley Problem.
- Emmett and Riley finally admit how they feel about each other.
- We feel so BETRAYED by what the Mayor did in this book.
- Let’s take a moment to pour one out for Dahl.
- Did anyone see that Taggy reveal coming?
- Okay, it’s time to talk about the ending of The Last Fallen Realm.
- Kristen has an alternate ending—what do you think!?
- We don’t like being sad, but that doesn’t mean this ending didn’t have its merit.
- WE TOTALLY DIDN’T ALMOST CRY WHILE WE WERE RECORDING THIS EPISODE.
- Where do all the rest of the characters end up?
- This book made us feel a little bit better about the world, and honestly, what more could we ask for?
Interview with Graci Kim (01:12:10)
- Check out the written interview here, in case you want to follow along!
- The first thing we want to know is…how is Graci doing now that the Gifted Clans series has come to a close?
- What were the challenges of writing The Last Fallen Realm?
- Had Graci ever been to Vegas before?
- We learn why Riley Oh dealt with so much imposter syndrome in this book.
- Was it difficult to balance Hattie and Riley’s personalities?
- Is Hole-in-One-Riley based on Graci’s real life!?
- Let’s talk about all the wonderful food in this book!
- Why is the Tree of Life such a consistent symbol across multiple cultures?
- The spoiler section for these questions starts at 01:34:52.
- Okay, we’ve gotta talk about the mayor’s betrayal.
- Graci explains why she ended Riley and Dahl’s story like that, and the surprise she came across after she drafted this book.
- Has she thought about Riley’s life after this book at all?
- Would she revisit this world at some point down the line?
- Graci also talks about how Rick Riordan Presents has started to change the publishing world.
- Would Graci ever be involved in an adaptation of her series?
- Lastly, she gives us an update on the new series she’s working on!
- Stick around to listen to us discuss a few of her answers and give our input!
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 87, in which we’ll discuss Last Canto of the Dead by Daniel José Older, plus an interview with the author himself!
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at email@example.com or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.