Welcome to Prophecy Radio, a Percy Jackson podcast dedicated to all of Rick Riordan’s past, present, and future projects! Co-hosts Karen Rought and Kristen Kranz discuss the latest news in the Percy Jackson/Rick Riordan Presents fandom, then list out all the companion books, short stories, and illustrated editions we have so far, as well as analyze chapters 5 and 6 of Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters. New episodes of Prophecy Radio will air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:01:15)
- Karen and Kristen are throwing responsibility out the window forever!
- Aru Shah and the End of Time graphic novel debuted at #1 on Amazon!
- Daughter of the Deep jumped to #1 on the NYT bestsellers list.
- Sarwat Chadda is working on the next draft of Rise of the Chaos Goddess.
- We get a fantastic update about the Solangelo book.
- We’re really excited to check in with other characters too.
- Kristen and Karen think they’re hilarious.
- The Percy Jackson Disney+ show’s writers room is back at it again!
- Serwa Boateng’s Guide to Vampire Hunting sounds great.
- We take a quick moment to shout out In Every Generation by Kendare Blake.
Companion books, short stories, illustrated editions, oh my! (00:07:43)
- The Demigod Files includes three short stories, all of which sound great!
- We’ve read most of these, but it’s been a while, so we don’t remember them as well as we’d like.
- But Clarisse and Percy together is bound to be a lot of fun. (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)
- Oh, hey there, Charles Beckendorf!
- We get a wild Festus sighting, and we’re so happy.
- How much did the Lightning Thief movie pull from “Sword of Hades” for Persephone’s character?
- Don’t forget, you can check these out at your local library!
- The Ultimate Guide is so much fun and a great collector’s item.
- It’s also very practical and incredibly useful!
- There is a cursed picture of Karen dressed as a daughter of Hephaestus for Halloween.
- We go off on a Beanie Baby tangent.
- “Percy Jackson and the Singer Apollo” is full of chaos, and we love it.
- Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods and Greek Heroes are SO PRETTY.
- Who HASN’T read Percy Jackson?
- Camp Half-Blood Confidential is another good pocket guide to keep on hand.
- Plus, there’s the coloring book, with art by Keith Robinson.
- We only have the Lightning Thief illustrated edition and it’s a TRAVESTY.
- John Rocco says there are no current plans to do more.
- Nobody would complain about more John Rocco art.
- Not to get ahead of ourselves, but we need a Percy Jackson Land at Disney World.
- We might have to do a whole episode on that idea.
- Let’s dive into the Heroes of Olympus series now!
- We kick off with The Demigod Diaries, and “The Diary of Luke Castellan.”
- We’ll be talking about this one in-depth soon!
- Hera is always messing things up.
- Ever heard of the bacchanalia?
- “The Son of Magic” was written by Rick’s son! It’s a fan-favorite.
- The Demigods of Olympus app might be long-gone.
- Time for the Kane Chronicles books!
- The Survival Guide is another awesome book to have on hand.
- Justice for Magnus Chase!
- Kristen will have to read the Kane Chronicles soon!
- The crossover short stories were a VERY BIG DEAL back in the day.
- But where’s our crossover SERIES?
- Where’s the Riordan Literary Universe (RLU)?
- And then Karen brings us all down. MOVING ON.
- We love Magnus Chase so much, and luckily there are some great guides for it.
- Einherjar is a very difficult word to say.
- There’s always time for new books down the line!
- Did we…do a good job!?
- Let’s talk graphic novels and why WE NEED MORE.
- Shhh, we’re not allowed to have other interests!
Chapter Reviews (00:38:13)
- Let’s talk about Sea of Monsters chapter 5!
- Karen’s living for Kristen’s recaps.
- Everyone knows that feeling when your mom cleans your room against your will.
- Camp Half-Blood isn’t a safe space anymore.
- Goodbye FOR NOW.
- Despite being “immortal,” it’s so interesting how gods must rely on mortal worship to keep them going.
- We are not fans of Tantalus.
- Is Mr. D trying to comfort Tantalus, or is he giving him false hope?
- Can everyone please stop being mean to Tyson!?
- Are the other campers jealous of Tyson?
- We shouldn’t be so cavalier about death.
- We are very happy to meet Charles Beckendorf again.
- We go on a Sponge-Bob tangent but Karen had to prove she has a brain.
- Time for chapter 6!
- BRAIN WORKS.
- Karen is very mad at Percy.
- BUT this is a good lesson for kids to learn.
- Karen was the annoying little brother.
- Lowercase pegasus versus capital letter Pegasus.
- Team Percabeth breaks up very quickly.
- Tyson gets a stick!
- Karen does not want to talk about the birdnado.
- Rick did Dean Martin dirty.
- Prophecy Count: 7
- A lot has already happened in these first six chapters.
- We were feeling a lot of emotions today.
- And we have some feedback to go through!
Thanks for listening, and be sure to tune in next time for episode 15, in which we’ll discuss Dragon Pearl by Yoon Ha Lee and “The Initiative” from Cursed Carnival and Other Calamities.
This episode’s hosts are: Karen Rought and Kristen Kranz.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Follow Us: Twitter // Instagram // Facebook // Tumblr
Listen and Subscribe: Audioboom // Apple // Spotify
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.