Welcome to Prophecy Radio, a Percy Jackson podcast dedicated to all of Rick Riordan’s past, present, and future projects! Co-hosts Karen Rought and Kristen Kranz discuss the latest news in the Percy Jackson/Rick Riordan Presents fandom, then kick off their very first Monster Guide episode with the famous Furies (which includes the infamous Mrs. Dodds), as well as analyze chapters 13 and 14 of Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters. New episodes of Prophecy Radio will air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:01:57)
- Thanks for being patient while we worked to get this episode out there!
- As we thought, Rick gave us even more updates about the Percy Jackson Disney+ show in his January 29 blog post.
- It’s nice to hear that Rick thinks the studio had some really smart comments about the first four scripts.
- What kind of Easter eggs are we looking forward to in the first season?
- It’s SO important that the kids playing Percy, Annabeth, and Grover have good chemistry.
- Please be sure to go through the proper channels for all auditions.
- Oh, and don’t believe any rumors.
- We have some thoughts on what the gods could look like.
- Is there a chance that regular old fans could ever turn up on the show?
- It’s hard not to get ahead of ourselves and think about casting for Heroes of Olympus, but we need to be patient!
- Can you believe this is one of the biggest shows Disney has ever produced?
- Karen and Kristen nerd out for a minute about VFX technology.
- Pre-production is well on its way for Percy Jackson and the Olympians.
- We really, REALLY want a making of video series for the show.
- Remember, Rick does NOT have total creative control…and that’s okay.
- Could we ever get an animated Riordanverse series?
- We also get a little bit of a Kane Chronicles movie update.
- And everyone is still working on the Daughter of the Deep rights.
- Thank the gods for bubble wrap.
- HUGE (and tearful) congratulations to Seale, who’s moving over to Scholastic.
- Mark Oshiro wrote a Star War!
- Check out the Serwa Boateng’s Guide to Vampire Hunting cover.
- Kristen is not a fan of elbow hair.
- And let’s not forget about the Paola Santiago Disney+ series news!
- Don’t give up on your dreams.
Monster Guide: The Furies (00:31:49)
- After all that encouragement, we have to bring you down because we’re talking about the Furies!
- Kristen will be in charge one day when her voice doesn’t hate her.
- We go over some pronunciations.
- Hades, the video game, makes the Furies a lot more attractive than they are in the myths.
- They might be scary, but they actually play a noble role.
- If you haven’t read Percy Jackson’s Greek Gods or Greek Heroes yet, we highly recommend it.
- How did the Furies come to be?
- It’s crazy that they’re older than even the Olympians!
- The Furies are kind of just always around.
- Despite being hallmarks of Lightning Thief, they don’t show up all that often afterwards.
- Was Alecto ever mentioned by name in the series?
- Maybe we shouldn’t have named the Furies so much in this episode…
- Did you like our first ever Monster Guide? Should we do more?
- We also want to talk about the gods in depth!
Chapter Reviews (00:43:43)
- Let’s get into Sea of Monsters chapter 13.
- We can’t stop talking about how incredible of a character Annabeth is.
- What’s the steering wheel on a boat called??
- Percy in his element is something magical.
- Thalia’s backstory is so tragic, but Annabeth is such a warrior.
- We really read “The Diary of Luke Castellan” at the perfect time.
- The weight of knowledge isn’t always an easy one to bear.
- Emotions are a WHOLE different ballgame.
- What is hubris, exactly?
- If Annabeth wasn’t willing to learn, would she have ended up more like Luke?
- Fatal flaws are such an important part of Greek mythology.
- Percy and Annabeth are really such a dream team.
- But Thalia is also wicked awesome.
- Time to meet the Sheep of Doom in chapter 14.
- The island is beautiful…and very dangerous.
- Clarisse needs to take a lesson on battle strategy from Annabeth.
- Polyphemus really doesn’t care who his wife is, as long as he has one.
- It was so cool seeing the Nobody trick come back in a different way.
- It cannot be pleasant to hang onto the belly of a sheep.
- We can never remember the name of the empathy link!!
- We get an awesome question from a listener than we’ll probably turn into an entire episode discussion.
- Oh, and if you’re interested in some of the mistakes and continuity errors in the Camp Half-Blood Chronicles, you can check out this Tumblr.
Thanks for listening, and be sure to tune in next time for episode 19, where we’ll talk about what it would be like to have a Percy Jackson Land at Disney World.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.