This week on Prophecy Radio, Karen and Kristen discuss The Last Fallen Star (with a designated spoiler section) by Graci Kim, the first book in the Gifted Clans series. Then they get to interview the author about the second book in the series, The Last Fallen Moon! There will be no Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth chapters to review this week, but there is plenty of news in the Rick Riordan universe to discover, including the new Percy Jackson and the Olympians cast members on Disney+. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:01:29)
- Filming is officially underway, and we will never not be excited about this.
- Of course Rick updated his blog with new Percy Jackson and the Olympians cast members on the exact same day we recorded our predictions!
- We run through all the new cast members fairly quickly because we’ll be doing a more in-depth discussion next week!
- Make sure you bookmark our Percy Jackson cast article.
- Jon Steinberg had a chat with The Wrap about the Disney+ Percy Jackson adaptation.
- We want merch!
- Steinberg has promised that this show will be for everyone—new fans and old; tweens, teens, and young adults (and we think adults, too!).
- Keep your eye out for the new blog post coming soon from Rick.
- We have some birthdays to celebrate!
- Have you seen the Victo Ngai limited edition prints of the new Percy Jackson and the Olympians book covers?
- Percy Jackson has been on the NYT bestsellers list for HOW long??
- Graci Kim had a chat with fellow author Xiran Jay Zhao about Chinese and Korean mythology.
- Make sure you check out Read Riordan to meet Dahl and Bada.
- We take the soul animal quiz!
- Make sure you tell us your soul animal!
The Last Fallen Star by Graci Kim (00:31:43)
- Check out Karen’s The Last Fallen Moon review on Subjectify on June 14.
- Kristen gives us the general plot of The Last Fallen Star.
- We should probably kick off this discussion by talking about Riley Oh.
- Riley is adopted, but she’s 100% part of the Oh family, even if she doesn’t always fit in.
- Sometimes there are downfalls to listening to audiobooks.
- Hattie is a pretty great sister, but she can be a bit reckless.
- But Karen really loves their dynamic.
- To balance out all that recklessness, we have Emmett Harrison.
- He’s not big on magic or emotions, but he does love to bake.
- They say that Karen is still trying to bake caramel cookies, even to this day.
- We need to start getting t-shirts made.
- Riley’s parents are pretty great, but boy did Riley have a tragic childhood.
- What IS Boris, exactly?
- Jennie is an interesting character because she starts off pretty stereotypically mean, but then gets a good amount of backstory.
- Then there’s the Cave Bear Goddess, who’s the patron saint of the Gom clan.
- We find out her origin story, but that’s gonna be it for now.
- This is your warning for our spoiler section!
- Spoilers start at 00:53:56, so skip to the next section if you want to avoid them!
- Okay, now that it’s safe, let’s talk about…the Horangi Clan.
- Sora is an important character, but she didn’t stand out as much as the others.
- Austin’s powers are pretty cool.
- But really we just want to talk about Taeyo.
- Hopefully there’s no blood-bending in his future.
- And yeah, remember when we mentioned the Cave Bear Goddess?
- She is very naughty!!
- This book kept getting worse and worse for Riley, but thankfully Hattie is okay.
- And Karen says that The Last Fallen Moon has a bit more happy stuff in it.
Graci Kim interview (01:10:41)
- Thank you, Graci, for joining us today to talk about The Last Fallen Moon!
- You KNOW Graci has some go-to snacks when she’s writing.
- Unlike a lot of people, Graci actually enjoys being told what she needs to fix in her manuscript.
- What were Graci’s personal and professional goals when she set out to write the Gifted Clans series?
- She also tells us her (current) favorite story from Korean mythology.
- Second books in a series can be tough, but did Graci have any trouble with Fallen Moon?
- Is Hattie and Riley’s relationship based on Graci’s own relationship with her family?
- You know we also had to ask her about all the magical food that shows up in these books!
- And we find out why Graci decided to restructure the hells (and it might not be for the reason you think).
- Will we ever get a giant Riordanverse crossover story?
- Graci also surprises us with her pick of a godly parent from Greek mythology.
- Which Rick Riordan Presents book would she love to live inside?
- And how does she feel about cooking/baking competition shows?
- Graci also hints at where The Last Fallen Realm will take place.
- She also tells us the series she’ll be working on next!
- We will never NOT take a chance to talk about our awesome logo.
- Rachel has been reading lots of Rick Riordan Presents books (yay!).
- Who would we want to voice Kronos in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians TV show?
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 37, where we’ll do an in-depth discussion of the new Percy Jackson and the Olympians cast!
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at email@example.com or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.