Prophecy Radio episode #54 dives into the latest news in the Riordanverse, including three—yes, you heard right—THREE blog posts from Rick Riordan. This includes updates on Rick Riordan Presents, the latest casting information for the Percy Jackson and the Olympians TV show, as well as the announcement of Percy Jackson Book 6 (aka Percy Jackson and the Chalice of the Gods). We also return to our Percy Jackson reread with a discussion of The Last Olympian chapter 8. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:02:28)
- If you haven’t already, be sure to listen to our interview with Roseanne A. Brown about Serwa Boateng’s Guide to Vampire Hunting.
- Roseanne is also doing an educator giveaway of the book, ending 10/28.
- Read Riordan put up another OTP Timelines article—this time about Leo and Calypso.
- This isn’t really news, but we love Angie Thomas and Rick Riordan’s friendship.
- We have a lot of blog posts to talk about this week—and one extra than we expected!
- There’s so much awesome news, so let’s just get into it.
- First up is the October 9 blog post, titled “News from the Riordanverse October 2022.”
- You can still pre-order signed copies of The Sun and the Star by Rick Riordan and Mark Oshiro from Barnes & Noble.
- We’re pretty excited that Rick mentions there could be more Will and Nico books in the future.
- We talk about some Trials of Apollo spoilers and how it could affect The Sun and the Star.
- What other characters do you think we’ll get to see in this book?
- Don’t forget about The Lords of Night by J.C. Cervantes!
- And how could we forget about The Spirit Glass by Roshani Chokshi!?
- It’s so interesting that Filipino mythology is one of the most requested topics for them to explore.
- Rick also gives us a few updates from the set of Percy Jackson and the Olympians.
- We learn roughly where we are in the adaptation of The Lightning Thief.
- Rick says more nice things about Walker and Leah, and we love to hear it.
- We guess as to which on-set dog Rick recently met.
- Rick also has some very interesting insight into the production process and how much he’s learned about making a film/television adaptation.
- It’s time to quiz Kristen on more TV/film lingo!
- Next up: The October 13 blog post, “More Casting News for PJOTV.”
- Jessica Parker Kennedy has been cast as Medusa.
- Kristen has definitely seen her in quite a few different shows.
- She also seems to be a Jon Steinberg darling, and it’s exciting that they’ve worked together so many times!
- Suzanne Cryer has been cast as Echidna, and she has A LOT of TV credits to her name.
- Like, a lot. You’ve probably seen her in something.
- Her Instagram post about the announcement was so beautiful and heartwarming.
- Lastly, we’ve got Adam Copeland as Ares, and is there a more perfect person to step into this role?
- Maybe this is a good excuse for Karen to finally watch Vikings.
- Lastly, we’ve got the October 18 blog post about Percy Jackson and the Chalice of the Gods.
- Karen reads you the entire blog post so you don’t miss A SINGLE DETAIL.
- Make sure you also read the Publisher’s Weekly article, which offers a few additional details.
- Rick was REALLY trying to get the PJOTV off the ground, and we’re here for it.
- How do we feel about calling Chalice of the Gods Percy Jackson 6?
- When does this book take place?
- Okay, but, like, is this the first in a trilogy…?
- Yeah, we’re gonna buy this no matter what, you don’t have to worry about that.
- We’re PRETTY sure no one is going to die in this book, so don’t panic!
- Rick reminds us just how much of a big deal Percy Jackson and the Olympians really is.
Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian (01:06:37)
- This week, we’re discussing The Last Olympian chapter 8.
- It feels like it’s been ages, but we’re back!
- That windowless, doorless room is cruel and unusual punishment.
- Why has Percy been dreaming of Rachel throughout this book? Who does that power belong to?
- We liked the countdown with Typhon instead of racing the clock against another solstice.
- This episode proves we need to work on our United States geography.
- Let’s talk about this whole situation between Percy and Nico.
- One thing’s for sure, we’re always going to talk about how much we love Mrs. O’Leary.
- Achilles seems to have learned a lot from his death.
- Okay, we find out the real reason why Luke was able to host Kronos.
- We love Nico so much, but he’s driving us crazy in this book.
- Is it weird that Percy submerges completely in the River Styx?
- We loved the moment when Percy pins Hades, but maybe he should’ve made sure the river thing worked first.
- Rick didn’t have to include that moment with Hades’ cloak, but we’re glad he did.
- Ian wants to remind everyone to go listen to our Daughter of the Deep review if you’ve read the book!
- He also has some clever ideas for the Percy Jackson Monopoly pieces.
- Sword of Avalon also has some great ideas to improve our Demigod Life game. Thanks for the kind words, too!
- Henry wrote us a monster of a letter, and we tackle a couple of the most important sections.
- We really love doing chapters one at a time, even if The Red Pyramid is a bigger book.
- Thanks for correcting a few timeline things for us! We’re old and our memories are bad.
- We want Tom Sturridge as Morpheus in Percy Jackson and the Olympians season 5!
- Henry also gives us a great idea for our 100th episode.
- Is Nico friendly with Anubis, the Egyptian God of Death?
- He also has a tech question for us, and we need your help!
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 55, which will do a Monster Guide on Procrustus.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at email@example.com or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.