Prophecy Radio episode #78 takes a look at the amazing Olympus fanzine, created by and for Percy Jackson fans. We also catch up on all the latest Riordanverse news, including a new Read Riordan article that gives us a look at a character we’ll meet in The Sun and the Star. Lastly, we continue our journey through The Kane Chronicles with The Red Pyramid chapter 5. Remember, we’re keeping this discussion spoiler-free! New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and we keep our discussions PG-13.
News and updates (00:01:23)
- It was revealed that Alessia Trunfio will be the artist behind the new The Sun and the Star cover for Rainbow Crate.
- Did you know they have a discreet packaging option?
- The 39 Clues: The Maze of Bones graphic novel by Rick Riordan and adapted/illustrated by Ethan Young published on April 4.
- Daughter of the Deep is now also in paperback!
- Did you catch Rick’s unbooking of The Sun and the Star?
- There’s probably going to be a crazy flashback.
- The endpapers are super cool!
- We’re gonna try to avoid unsanctioned spoilers as much as possible, especially leading up to the release.
- The book is sustainably sourced!
- Let’s meet Amphithemus, from The Sun and the Star.
- He’s sort of like a half-satyr, half-centaur who has a short-term memory problem like Dory.
- Does this mean Nico and Will are going to get separated?
- We actually read about Lamian centaurs when we did our episode on Chiron.
- There’s a good reason why he hates Zeus and Hera.
- Will Amphithemus ever meet Dionysus?
- It’s gotta be important that he can pass through Acheron unaffected, right?
- Mark posted some no-context spoilers for The Sun and the Star.
Olympus: A Percy Jackson Fanzine (00:18:20)
- CosmicCowZine puts together a ton of amazing fanzines.
- These are for the fans, by the fans!
- They’ve done a bunch of fanzines for popular properties in the past, and they’ve got some incredible ones coming up soon, too.
- Visit the CosmicCowZine shop for pre-orders and leftovers!
- Catch them on social media: Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr
- Karen was super impressed with all the goodies she got with her magazine, too.
- And the quality is super high and amazing.
- All of the art is incredible, and everyone’s usernames are inside, so you can go follow your favorite artists.
- Mochosum (mod/editor-in-chief) writes in to tell us a little bit more about the process of making Olympus.
- It’s time to dive into the Summer 2022 issue!
- The ads in these magazines are INCREDIBLE.
- Kristen loves to find out what people have in their bags.
- Would you take flirting lessons from Leo?
- Nico deserves a McDonald’s sponsorship.
- We find out who our godly parents could be.
- Now it’s time for Karen to tell Kristen about the Winter 2022 issue.
- Again, we just love the ads so much! We want some Swiss Mist!
- But the Odyssey+ ads are really quite brilliant.
- The article about Annabeth going to school and designing Olympus is so perfect for her.
- That article about Silena and Charlie was SO STINKIN’ CUTE.
- The clothes in the gala article are incredible.
- Karen’s got a quiz to determine which petsona we are!
- Let’s hope this isn’t the last issue they ever come out with!
The Kane Chronicles: The Red Pyramid (01:09:47)
- This week, we’re reading The Red Pyramid chapter 5.
- How about that boat ride, huh?
- It makes sense that the living stay on the East bank and the dead stay on the West bank.
- Welcome to the 21st Nome!
- This book series already feels bigger and more global than PJO.
- The mansion sure is unique.
- Carter opens the door on his own, and Amos thinks the way he did it was interesting.
- What does this say about the kind of person Carter is?
- Is Muffin a god or a vampire?
- Were you surprised by the monkey?
- How do we feel about Amos taking the workbag?
- Is the House of Life sentient?
- We loved when Carter shifted into big brother mode.
- We’re finally getting some more answers and information!
- Thank you, Alyssa, for recommending some Percy Jackson read-a-likes.
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 79, in which we’ll talk about our favorite pieces of pop culture that tackle Egyptian mythology before discussing The Red Pyramid chapter 6.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.