Welcome to Prophecy Radio, a Percy Jackson podcast dedicated to all of Rick Riordan’s past, present, and future projects! Co-hosts Karen Rought and Kristen Kranz talk about the latest news in the Percy Jackson/Rick Riordan Presents fandom, discuss all the Daughter of the Deep spoilers we couldn’t talk about in episode 4, and analyze chapters 15 and 16 of Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. New episodes of Prophecy Radio will air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
- Kristen is not a morning person, but Karen has enough energy for the both of them.
- Be sure to vote in the Goodreads Choice Awards!
- Sign up for Kwame Mbalia’s Black by Popular Demand newsletter.
- Are you a teacher? Check out this Tristan Strong Keeps Punching educator’s guide.
- Did we read any books like Tristan Strong when we were in middle school?
- You can back the Bridge to Elsewhere anthology, featuring Carlos Hernandez.
- And get ready for the Magic Has No Borders anthology, featuring Tracey Baptiste!
Daughter of the Deep spoiler chat (00:07:39)
- This is your last warning that there are spoilers ahead!
- If you’re looking for our spoiler-free Daughter of the Deep discussion, listen to episode 4.
- It feels sacrilegious to call the animal characters sidekicks.
- First up, we HAVE to talk about how awesome Socrates was.
- He felt like a substantial character in this book.
- Top is SO cute. He gets ALL the treats.
- Is Top a direct descendent of the original Top?
- Kristen tees it up, and Karen hits a homerun.
- We really love Romeo for so many reasons.
- There’s a reason why we got all that information about octopuses during the virtual tour!
- This was a really cool twist to the story.
- Our love for Jupiter knows no bounds.
- Let’s not turn this into a Great British Bake-Off podcast.
- He has an interesting ingredients list, and he does an amazing job with it.
- There’s a huge message about the conservation of the planet in this book, and that’s pretty awesome.
- Did we see that big twist coming?
- How culpable is Dev for everything that happened?
- Is Dev redeemable?
- It depends on a lot of factors, honestly.
- And how much of this was because of Land Institute’s manipulations?
- Poor Ana, though. She’s been through so much.
- Luckily, she has super supportive friends and a good head on her shoulders.
- Dev was expecting the worst, and Ana was trying her hardest to trust him again.
- Let’s talk about Ana and Gemini.
- Do we like them together? Do we want them to stay friends?
- Hewett was a surprise, wasn’t he?
- That said, he does remind us of a certain other professor…
- Kids are the future, and that’s why middle grade and young adults books are so awesome.
- Which character did Kristen trust the least?
- Where did we leave off in Daughter of the Deep?
- What could we see in a possible sequel down the line?
- Karen has some gentle words of encouragement for Rick.
Chapter Reviews (00:59:33)
- This week, we’re reading chapters 15 and 16 of The Lightning Thief!
- A lot happened in chapter 15.
- Do kids still know what IMing is???
- Either way, Iris Messaging is pretty amazing.
- Did we trust Luke on the first read-through?
- Callie makes yet another cameo. She’s fine, we promise.
- Ares’ motorcycle is…intense.
- Percy really needs to know who he can sass and who he can’t.
- Why can’t it be follow the butterflies?
- All hail Percy’s ability to keep it together.
- Next chapter! There are some really awesome visuals here.
- Thalia, punk daughter of Zeus, is so awesome, and we can’t wait for more.
- Prophecy Count: 5
- We have some ideas for a short story Rick could write…
- Percy is taking a lot of his new abilities in stride.
- Karen is VERY mad at the men transporting the animals.
- LOTUS HOTEL AND CASINO!!!
- We really, really can’t wait to see how this book translates to the small screen.
Thanks for listening, and be sure to tune in next week for episode 9, in which we’ll play a game of what if? with the Percy Jackson universe.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.