Prophecy Radio episode #80 takes a look at The 39 Clues: The Maze of Bones graphic novel, and has a chat with Ethan Young, who adapted and illustrated the book. We also catch up on all the latest Riordanverse news, including the cover, synopsis, and release date for A Drop of Venom by Sajni Patel. Lastly, we continue our journey through The Kane Chronicles with The Red Pyramid chapter 7! Remember, we’re keeping this discussion spoiler-free! New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and we keep our discussions PG-13.
News and updates (00:03:32)
- Karen regales Kristen with her tale of visiting the Field Museum in Chicago and going through the Ancient Egypt exhibit.
- Happy birthday to Toby Stephens, who will play Poseidon in Percy Jackson and the Olympians.
- Did you catch the A Drop of Venom cover reveal? Sajni Patel’s first book for Rick Riordan Presents is going to be a stunner!
- Do Hades and Persephone have good advice for long-distance relationships?
- We also get to meet Gorgyra, who will show up in The Sun and the Star.
- Could Bear McCreary be working on Percy Jackson and the Olympians?
- This is also your reminder that Ballad & Dagger is now out in paperback!
The 39 Clues: The Maze of Bones + Interview with Ethan Young (00:09:59)
- Neither Kristen nor Karen had read The 39 Clues before, so this was a good time to check out the story via the graphic novel.
- Did you think there were 39 books in this series? If so, you’re not alone (or that far off)!
- Sarwat Chadda wrote a book in The 39 Clues series!
- Will there ever be a movie (or television) adaptation?
- We give you a brief overview of what happens to kick off The Maze of Bones.
- Would we take the money or take the clue?
- If you like National Treasure, there’s no way you wouldn’t love The 39 Clues series.
- This series is a lot more global, which makes for a lot of interesting adventures.
- Plus, all the different clans and family members made everything a lot trickier!
- We both totally want to keep reading the graphic novels to find out what happens next!
- Make sure you check out the 39 Clues website!
- Now it’s time to talk to Ethan Young, who adapted and illustrated The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan.
- Are there any designs that really stand out to him after all these years?
- What’s the most important part of tackling the kinds of projects he’s done in the past?
- Is there ever any time for personal artwork outside of commissions?
- How does Ethan avoid burnout?
- What made Ethan interested in adapting The Maze of Bones?
- What is the process like for adapting a book into a graphic novel?
- We’re so lucky to have smart phones these days.
- Was Rick involved in the process of adapting this at all?
- Why are graphic novels so important for people who love (or maybe don’t love) to read?
- Which of the characters were Ethan’s favorite to illustrate?
- Did Ethan have a favorite location?
- We also take some time to talk about the potential sequel to Maze of Bones and whether Ethan will be attached to future adaptations.
- Who would Ethan want to have as a godly parent?
- Which graphic novels does he recommend? What about artists to watch?
- We take some time to shout out all the amazing Percy Jackson fan artists!
- If you remember being on MySpace, you might be old…
- What are some of Ethan’s dream projects?
- And what else does he having coming up next?
The Kane Chronicles: The Red Pyramid (01:02:22)
- This week, we’re reading The Red Pyramid chapter 7.
- Carter and Sadie are definitely very different people.
- Muffin is like a canary in a coal mine, and Kristen is paying attention.
- Sadie was a little scary in this chapter!
- Carter should’ve been WAY more cautious about curses and booby traps.
- Why do Egyptians walk the way they do?
- There seems to be a lot more going on inside Doughboy than most gollum-type creatures.
- Do we really think Julius is dead?
- Did you know how to pronounce cartouche?
- What would you do if you found out you were descended from the pharaohs of Ancient Egypt?
- Teach kids cursive! It could save their lives!
- This story about Nut and Geb’s children overthrowing Ra sounds a little familiar…
- Put us down as not wanting to stay pregnant forever.
- The story about how Nut made it a 365-day year is pretty awesome.
- FINALLY WE KNOW WHO THE FIERY MAN IS.
- Henry suggests we watch House of Anubis.
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 81, in which we’ll talk about everything we know so far The Sun and the Star before discussing The Red Pyramid chapter 8.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at email@example.com or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.