Prophecy Radio episode #50 celebrates by taking a look back over the last year and revisiting our very first episode! Karen and Kristen also tackle all the latest news, including some followup on the Percy Jackson and the Olympians teaser trailer, as well as discuss Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian chapter 5. New episodes of Prophecy Radio air weekly, and all ages are welcome to tune in.
News and Updates (00:02:13)
- The Percy Jackson and the Olympians teaser trailer has a ton of views on both Twitter and YouTube.
- Let’s jump right into Rick’s September 17 blog post.
- He shares lots of behind-the-scenes moments, including some fanboying over Harvey Guillén.
- Rick also addressed those comments about the English and Greek letters on the Camp signs in the most Rick way, and we come up with a new headcannon.
- As for those symbols on the cabins? They’re something new, and we spend some time theorizing about what they could mean.
- We totally agree those new CBH shirts are fire, and we can’t wait to purchase them.
- Much to Karen’s delight, we are getting a brand new Roshani Chokshi book from Rick Riordan Presents, titled The Spirit Mirror.
- Speaking of books, if you’re looking for books like Percy Jackson, Everyday Reading has a list for you.
- Okay, we’re bringing the tone down a little to talk about something a bit more serious: Roseanne A. Brown’s comments about the review bombing she’s been getting on Serwa Boateng’s Guide to Vampire Hunting.
- In a similar vein, Tracey Baptiste (author of the upcoming Moko Magic duology from RRP) also spoke about the backlash to the Little Mermaid trailer and why representation matters.
- (P.S. The book Karen was talking about is called Skin of the Sea by Natasha Bowen and was inspired by her Nigerian heritage.)
- Ending on a high note, we mention Read Riordan’s article where the gods give back-to-school advice.
- More importantly, however, we get to take a quiz to find out which Rick Riordan Presents heroine we are.
50th Episode Celebration Extravaganza (00:40:54)
- We take a trip down memory lane and look back on how far we’ve come from Prophecy Radio episode 1.
- Thank goodness we fixed up our audio!
- This podcast has so much untapped potential, even still to this day! We have a lot more to go, and we hope you’ll stick around to enjoy it with us.
- Yes, we’re still obsessed with our logo, and no we’re never going to shut up about it.
- We were excited to find a community with our podcast, but we never expected to gain so many new friends in our fellow Riordanverse podcasters.
- Where were we in terms of the news this time last year?
- We didn’t even have the greenlight yet! James Bobin wasn’t hired. There was an open-call for Percy Jackson.
- Back then, they were aiming for a 2023 delivery, and that’s unfortunately been moved back to 2024.
- We’re still waiting on the Kane Chronicles movie, but at least now we have a better idea of where they are in the process.
- In 2021, we were still waiting on Cursed Carnival, Daughter of the Deep, and Tristan Strong Keeps Punching—all of which have been successful releases!
- The way we did our chapter reviews is pretty different from how we do them now.
- Thank you to everyone who writes into us every week. We really appreciate you all!
Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian discussion (00:51:53)
- It’s time to jump into Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian chapter 5.
- We’re really going to miss Beckendorf—along with everyone at Camp.
- Mrs. O’Leary was hilarious in this chapter.
- Percy is not immune to dog drool, unfortunately.
- Leneus was so. annoying.
- Percy would totally know if Grover died.
- Was Percy out of character in this chapter?
- Nico being able to talk to Beckendorf…that’s heavy.
- We still want to know more about Nico’s plan.
- It’s frustrating that the only reason Percy agrees is because Annabeth called him a coward.
- It’s time to shadow travel!!
- A listener writes in to correct one of our interpretations of the teaser trailer.
Thanks for listening, and tune in next time for episode 51, where we’ll do a Monster Guide on Echidna and Chimera.
Each episode, our Prophecy Radio hosts and their guests will keep you up to date on the latest information coming out of Camp Half-Blood, including upcoming books and adaptation news, discuss a topic of choice, and do a chapter by chapter reread of the Percy Jackson series.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at email@example.com or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
Prophecy Radio is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, ReWatchable, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.