The Matrix: Resurrections pulls the ReWatchable panel back into the fold for one last ride with the original crew. Although everything seems slightly the same, this meta retelling of the series offers something new for everyone. Leaning into the film took a bit of effort at the start, but the film still laid the groundwork for another discussion of the larger themes of the piece from Lana Wachowski. Join us as we ask the big questions, such as: Did this movie need to be made? Did we enjoy it? Did Keanu make another joke?!
- Natalie’s hair cannot get short enough, Karen has a car (and a lot of additional responsibility), and Kendra literally entered the Mirrorverse with Spider-Man.
- As a reminder: we are no longer found on Hypable – we are now on Subjectify Media! Read all about it in our relaunch article: Reintroducing ReWatchable: And our next round is… – Subjectify Media
- Overall impressions
- Did this movie need to be made?
- Kendra’s Kontemplations from the movie theater seat
- Keanu’s did not make a joke (Brittany determines this while writing the show notes)
- Let’s discuss the motive behind making this movie
- Did this movie serve every audience member?
- Yes, update those CGI graphics!!
- There is a new The One, what do we think of our lead?
- Everyone finally has a sensible Matrix outfit
- Neo is removed from the Matrix and it takes a bit for us to get into the film and sort out what exactly is going on
- Meta seems like a bad descriptor (thanks, Zuckerberg), but we did enjoy bits of the meta of it all
- Sense8 is all over the place, stay tuned for us to point them out
- Welcome Jonathan Groff (we love you so much)
- What did we think of the changes in Agent Smith here?
- We don’t know the whole story about bringing back Morpheus 1.0, but we like Morpheus 2.0
- The Choice is there, but is it really?
- Tweaking the code got rid of some of the elements that were bothersome from the original trilogy
- Following the White Rabbit
- Going from a phone call to Zoom – an excellent description of the Matrix upgrade
- Ladies and gentleman, Neo Unplugged
- Meet a new generation of characters
- We’re going back to Io
- “You never appreciated our relationship”
- The biggest question: Is this a love story?
- At the heart of the story is Trinity, is that a good thing?
- Would you prefer to be in the pod? (Not this pod because the answer is obviously, yes)
- Unlike this episode, the movie has some after credits scenes
ReWatchable: A TV Re-Watch Podcast is dedicated to rewatching completed cult classic or unjustly cancelled TV shows with a team of both superfans and newbies. Join us for analysis, commentaries, character discussions, and more for each show we choose to tackle.
During our rewatches, we stay spoiler-free for our discussions on an episode-to-episode base, to give our newbie hosts and listeners a chance to discover things fresh! We ask that listeners also don’t discuss any spoilers for the shows we’re watching ahead of that episode’s discussion in their feedback to us or on our social media.
Feel free to leave us your questions or comments through any of these mediums! You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our homepage for archives and more information about our show.
ReWatchable is a Subjectify Media podcast production. Visit Subjectify Media for more shows, including Prophecy Radio, Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast, and Not About The Weather, and for all our latest articles about the stories we’re passionate about.